Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

aem 6.4 upgrade steps

Level 3

We are upgrading from aem 6.3 to aem 6.4

And performing in-place upgrade following these steps - Performing an In-Place Upgrade

I want to clarify on the steps to get this successful

1. Stop the instance if it is running
  2. Download the new  AEM6.4 jar file and use it to replace the old one outside the crx-quickstart folder.
  3. Unpack the new quickstart jar by running:
  4. java -jar AEM_6.4_author-p4504.jar –unpack
  5. java -server -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=256M -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dsling.run.modes=author,crx3,crx3tar -jar cq-author-p4504.jar -c crx-quickstart -p 4504 -Dsling.properties=conf/sling.properties
  6. Start AEM either using start.bat or the jar

Few questions:

1. Are  steps 4 and 5 required (both)?

2. As far as i understand step 5 should start AEM as well. - Am I right? So step 6 should not be needed.

3. Since upgrade works fine with just unpacking also with just step 4 and 6. What is the need for the step 5? For setting the run-modes alone?

Just wanted to make sure i understand the steps I am performing correctly.

9 Replies

Employee Advisor

Step 4 is only unpacking the quickstart, but it does not start AEM. That's what step 5 is doing.

Level 3

Thanks.

But another concern is when I used below command

java -server -Xmx4096m -XX:MaxPermSize=256M -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dsling.run.modes=author,crx3,crx3tar -jar AEM64-author-p4502.jar start -c crx-quickstart  -p 4502 -Dsling.properties=conf/sling.properties

AEM is starting as http://localhost:4502/crx-quickstart/aem/start.html

Why is the extra crx-quickstart coming up?

Employee Advisor

I use the regular start script (crx-quickstart/bin/start) to start AEM and it looks like this on my Mac:

ava -server -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=256M -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dsling.run.modes=author,crx3,crx3tar -Djava.locale.providers=CLDR,JRE,SPI -jar crx-quickstart/app/cq-quickstart-6.4.0-standalone-quickstart.jar start -c crx-quickstart -i launchpad -p 6402 -Dsling.properties=conf/sling.properties

you can see that the jar file comes out of crx-quickstart/app

Level 10

Do you see a 'crx-quickstart' generated under parent 'crx-quickstart' folder from your upgrade process? If yes, then you may need to redo the entire activity.

Level 3

AFter running these 2 commands

java -Xmx4096m -jar AEM64-author-p4502.jar -unpack

java -server -Xmx4096m -XX:MaxPermSize=256M -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dsling.run.modes=author,crx3,crx3tar -jar AEM64-author-p4502.jar start -c crx-quickstart  -p 4502 -Dsling.properties=conf/sling.properties

I see the AEM starts off as http://localhost:4502/crx-quickstart/aem/start.html

If you notice the url has an extra crx-quickstart. WHy could that be

D:\6.3 - 6.4 upgrade with curl cmds\crx-quickstart\app has cq-quickstart-6.4.0-standalone-quickstart.jar

I do not see any extra crx-quickstart under this folder D:\6.3 - 6.4 upgrade with curl cmds\crx-quickstart

Level 10

The command you've mentioned would start the upgrade. Once upgrade is completed, start the server normally either via start.sh/start.bat or java -jar <author>.jar  That would work fine without '/crx-quickstart'

Compare your command with Jörg​'s command.

Performing an In-Place Upgrade 

Note that starting AEM from the start script will not start the upgrade. Most customers start AEM using the start script and have customized this start script to include switches for environment configurations such as memory settings, security certificates, etc. For this reason, we recommend following this procedure to determine the proper upgrade command........

This will ensure that all proper memory settings, custom runmodes, and other environmental parameters are applied for the upgrade. After the upgrade has completed, the instance may be started from the start script on future startups.

Level 3

Thanks for responding.

The main reason that i found out was if we use the jar parallel to crx-quickstart folder - then I see the AEM starts off as http://localhost:4502/crx-quickstart/aem/start.html

If the jar inside /crx-quickstart/app is used then AEM starts off fine.

Not sure why that difference.

Adobe document- says use the jar that is sibling of crx-quickstart but that introduces the extra crx-quickstart for me.

Performing an In-Place Upgrade  - 

Determining the correct upgrade start command  section

Step 3 - "Modify the command by replacing the path to the existing jar (crx-quickstart/app/aem-quickstart*.jarin this case) with the new jar that is a sibling of the crx-quickstart folder.  Using our previous command as an example, our command would be:"

Employee Advisor

To be honest, I never started the quickstart using "double-click", but always with the official start script (even on my local Mac).

Have you executed the step where you unpack the quickstart?

Jörg