Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

AEM 6.2 won't install as a service on Windows Server 2012 R2 - This app can't run on your PC - Access denied

Level 1

I'm trying to install AEM 6.2 as a windows service following the normal procedure at https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-2/deploy/custom-standalone-install.html. However, when i edit instsrv.bat to set the prunsrv to prunsrv_ia64.exe and then run the batch file, it gives an error, "This app can't run on your PC". Posts I've found on the internet about this aren't related to AEM, but they suggest it's a problem with the executable, rather than a permissions issue. That being said, if I close the notice, the command window shows an "Access denied" message.

If I switch to prunsrv.exe, it will install the service, but you can't run it because it throws an error saying, "Invalid function", which makes sense as it's the wrong architecture. On the Azure AEM 6.0 machine image, I noticed they were using prunsrv_amd64.exe even though it's an Intel architecture. However, that file is not included in my AEM 6.2 quickstart.jar.

Has anyone run into this?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

This is how I did it for 6.2 and windows 2012 R2. You MUST make sure the user that adds the service to the system is allowed to, use administrator or get administrator privileges to the system.

1.    Copy 'prunsrv_amd64' from a 6.1 instance

2.    Open 'author\crx-quickstart\opt\helpers\instsrv.bat' in a text editor

3.    Replace all instances of 'prunsrv' with 'prunsrv_amd64'
4.    Modify service_name from 'AEM' to 'AEM_6.2_Author'
5.    Modify cq_runmode, adding 'author' and the appropriate run mode for environment being installed. For example:
"author,crx3,crx3tar"

6.    Modify jvm_options from 
-Xmx2048m#-XX:MaxPermSize=256M
to whatever your system should be
-Xmx<heap size>g;-Doak.queryLimitInMemory=500000;-Doak.queryLimitReads=100000;-Dupdate.limit=250000;-Doak.fastQuerySize=true

7.    Open a Command Prompt. Change directory to 'author\crx-quickstart\opt\helpers' and run

instsrv.bat aem-6.2-author

8.    Open the Services console (services.msc) and start the service AEM_6.2_Author

Regards,

Opkar

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Administrator

Hi

Can you please confirm to us, which java version are you having?

I have seen problem with JDK 7 (64 bit) on windows 2012 R2.

Reference article:- http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22564682/cant-install-jdk-7u51-64-bit-on-windows-2012-r2-this-app...

I hope this might will help you.

~kautuk

Kautuk Sahni

Administrator

Also Please check by running the script as Administrator.

~kautuk

Kautuk Sahni

Level 1

Thanks for your input.

Running 64-bit Java, version 1.8.0.111. I'm also running the script as administrator. As for that post you referenced, the prunsrv_ia64.exe file is part of the AEM 6.2 Quickstart.jar, so I can't download it independently to my knowledge. I've tried re-extracting the jar and it's always the same prunsrv_ia64.exe file. 

I looked at a 6.0 install and noticed that file has changed size, so I'm not sure if you can use the older version of that executable with 6.2.

Mike.

Level 2

Hi Mike,

We are facing similar issue and did you find any resolution? We have installed AEM 6.2 on Windows Server 2012 R2 (64 bit) and  jdk/jre version is  1.8.0_101.

when we start the instance from start.bat it is working fine and only when we try to install it as windows server we are experiencing same issue as you have mentioned. As a workaround i copied prunsrv_amd64.exe from our CQ 5.6 instance and replaced prunsrv_ia64.exe with this file in instsrv.bat file. It worked fine in OOB instance but not in the instance that is migrated from CQ 5.6 to AEM 6.2. Also i'm told we are not supposed to use prunsrv_amd64.exe in AEM 6.2 so we are back to square one. Please share if you have found any fix for this issue.

Thanks & Regards

Suresh

Administrator

It appears to me a bug.

I would request you to Please file a day care ticket for this: https://daycare.day.com/home/createaticket.html 

~kautuk

Kautuk Sahni

Employee

Suresh Ponnada wrote...

Also i'm told we are not supposed to use prunsrv_amd64.exe in AEM 6.2 so we are back to square one. 

Who told you not to use prunsrv_amd64.exe?

Regards,

Opkar

Correct answer by
Employee

This is how I did it for 6.2 and windows 2012 R2. You MUST make sure the user that adds the service to the system is allowed to, use administrator or get administrator privileges to the system.

1.    Copy 'prunsrv_amd64' from a 6.1 instance

2.    Open 'author\crx-quickstart\opt\helpers\instsrv.bat' in a text editor

3.    Replace all instances of 'prunsrv' with 'prunsrv_amd64'
4.    Modify service_name from 'AEM' to 'AEM_6.2_Author'
5.    Modify cq_runmode, adding 'author' and the appropriate run mode for environment being installed. For example:
"author,crx3,crx3tar"

6.    Modify jvm_options from 
-Xmx2048m#-XX:MaxPermSize=256M
to whatever your system should be
-Xmx<heap size>g;-Doak.queryLimitInMemory=500000;-Doak.queryLimitReads=100000;-Dupdate.limit=250000;-Doak.fastQuerySize=true

7.    Open a Command Prompt. Change directory to 'author\crx-quickstart\opt\helpers' and run

instsrv.bat aem-6.2-author

8.    Open the Services console (services.msc) and start the service AEM_6.2_Author

Regards,

Opkar