Expand my Community achievements bar.

6.4 Upgrade Issue | AuthenticationSupport service missing

Level 2

Hi All,

We are upgrading our AEM from version 6.2 to version 6.4 with InPlace Upgrade approach.

Issue : Not able to access CRXDE tool i.e. neither crx/de nor crx/packmgr/index.jsp

Getting HTTP ERROR: 503

Error Log Snippet

Picture1.png

FYI -  Found 17 bundles in installed state. Checked about those installed bundles, most of these bundles are related to AEM forms. For AEM 6.4 , Adobe provided a package AEM-Forms-6.4.3.0-LX-5.1.42.zip to upgrade the AEM forms and make it compatible to AEM 6.4. Since crx/packmgr/index.jsp console is throwing 503, we are not able to upload and install this package. I tried automatic installation of the package by placing it inside <install-directoty>/crx-quickstart/install but I am not sure if it got really installed with this way. Bundles were still in installed state.

If we would be able to access the crx/packmgr console, then we can be ensured by trying to install the AEM Forms package.

I hope this package installation should resolve the installed bundle issue.

asd.png

Note – ADP bundles are our application related bundles and these are in installed state because of uber version and acs-aem-commons version. We are not able to install the 6.4 compatible code due to inaccessibility of CRXDE tool.

Background :

In AEM 6.2, we are using Filedatastore as Data Stores, so customBlobStore is set to true  in the Segment Node Store configuration file.

Screenshot –

2.png

AEM 6.2 Config File -

• org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.blob.datastore.FileDataStore.cfg

path = /data/aem/author/crx-quickstart/repository/datastore

minRecordLength = 4096

maxcachedBinarySize = 50000

• org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.segment.SegmentNodeStoreService.cfg

customBlobStore = true

============================================================

Then, Performed content repository migration as part of  Inplace upgrade steps with below command –

java -Xmx12G -jar aem-author-4502.jar -v -x crx2oak -xargs -- --load-profile segment-fds --src-datastore=/data/aem/author/crx-quickstart/repository/datastore

Here, as highlighted, we used segment as fds since we are using file data store. Now In AEM6.4, we got config file of FileDataStore and SegmentNodeStore as below – 3.png

AEM 6.4 Config File -

• org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.blob.datastore.FileDataStore.cfg

minRecordLength = 4096

• org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.blob.datastore.FileDataStore.cfg-crx2oak-20190318-101819.bak

minRecordLength = 4096

maxcachedBinarySize = 50000

• org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.segment.SegmentNodeStoreService.cfg

customBlobStore = true

• org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.segment.SegmentNodeStoreService.cfg

customBlobStore = true

Need assistance to fix the CRXDE issue.

Thanks in Advance !!

scottm

kautuksahni

6 Replies

Employee Advisor

You can use the CRX Autoinstaller feature to install the package on server startup automatically. Just place the forms package in crx-quickstart/install folder and restart the server.

How to install CRX packages automatically on server startup

Employee Advisor

.cfg files are not supported for AEM versions >6.3

Can you try to change the syntax and extensions for datastore and segmentstore configs as mentioned at [1] and try again?

[1] Configuring node stores and data stores in AEM 6

Level 2

Kunal, Thanks for the suggestion. I tried auto installation  but didn't work. Checked Error logs but didn't find anything getting installed.

Level 10

Check if 'crx' bundles are up & running in /system/console/bundles

503 is probably an outcome of upgrade process gone bad. One thing that I noticed is usage of '.cfg' instead of '.config'. I assume that could be an issue but not sure. You may try to rename the files or choose to upgrade again.

Configuring node stores and data stores in AEM 6

Newer versions of Oak employ a new naming scheme and format for OSGi configuration files. The new naming scheme requires that the configuration file be named .config and the new format requires values to be typed and is documented here.

If you upgrade from an older version of Oak, ensure that you make a backup of the crx-quickstart/install folder first. After the upgrade, restore the contents of the folder to the upgraded installation and modify the extension of the configuration files from .cfg to .config.

Level 2

Gaurav, CRX bundles are up .. Also, I did try with .cfg to .config but same error.

Level 10

To me, it is a clear case of upgrade gone wrong. You have a couple of options:

1) Redo the upgrade from scratch

2) Open DayCare ticket and ask for patch to fix the existing setup

3) Continue to debug till you find a solution.

You could do #2,3 in parallel.

Debugging steps:

- Setup a new 6.4 fresh instance in parallel

- Generate the server startup logs and compare the logs against this server to find more clues about impacted bundles/services. Most likely crx or authentication related bundles/service

- Compare sling.properties, number of active bundles, default configurations related to /crx bundles for this fresh instance and the bad instance.

Revert in case you find any 'crx' or 'authentication' specific clues in log files.