Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Viewing/previewing Overlays

Level 2

How do I view/preview my overlays within InDesign? I am using DPS 2015 within Adobe CC 2015 and can't see any way to check that an overlay works, once applied. Is the only option to export as an article, upload to DPS Solutions website, configure it all and then check?

13 Replies

Level 6

The preflight app is still, as far as I know, still in review at Apple. The Windows and Android versions are available.

Level 2

Thanks. Desperately waiting for it! So there is no quick button that I should be seeing in the overlays panel to do a quick test that something works, such as looking at the transitions in a slideshow?

Employee

Correct. Right now you still have to upload the article to the portal and then use the preflight tool (Windows/Andorid, still waiting on Apple approval for iOS) to preview it.

Neil

Employee

Note that even when the preflight tool is available on iOS you'll still have to upload the article to the portal to see it in the viewer. We don't have a preview from InDesign capability yet.

Neil

Level 2

Thanks for confirming. Hopefully, there will be plans to preview the interactivity within InDesign in the future.

Level 4

Wonder what Apple's deal is. The Preflight App has been under review for over a month already.

Employee

I just got the approval mail from Apple. Nate'll be pushing it to the store shortly. Woohoo!

Neil

Level 4

They must have read my complaint about them lollygagging around. Perhaps they were all too busy watching the latest Steve Jobs movie.

I've been able to upload start a DPS 2015 trial, create articles and collections and upload simple content through AEMmobile. Many thanks, by the way, for the "Getting started with AEM Mobile" and the "Trial program video tutorial" help pages — super helpful for explaining the NEW DPS paradigm to me.

Creating mobile content via the Overlay panel is not new to me. I pretty much know what to expect. I do however, miss the quick simulator of the Content Viewer on my Mac. It gave me a wonderfully quick preview before I went thru the steps of uploading to the cloud and downloading to a device.

Do you have any news on a previewing tool for DPS2015/AEM for the Mac/InDesign — before i export a ".article" file and upload to AEMmobile?

Thanks.

Level 6

Hey DesignerBob;

There are no current plans for a desktop preview function.

Make your change, export an article file, then upload the new article file into an article in the Portal. Then click Preflight and take a look at your work in a preflight app. Yes, a couple extra steps and not as convenient as desktop preview,  but then we never really trusted the desktop preview tool either...

HTH - Colin

Level 1

Thanks for the honesty Colin. Not the answer I was hoping for, but it is an answer.

This will make things a lot tougher for newbies to grasp the whole thing. DPS is a part of my curriculum at the local university. For the novice student, the quick preview provides a confirmation of task. It is a huge motivator.

As stated in other forums, it would seem that the only method for quick (cloud-less) preview is to keep InDesign 2014 and the DPS(uite) tools intact — until that is depreciated to the point of no return.

I do hope the Adobe DPS Team changes their mind regarding the desktop preview function (even if it wasn't 100% reliable). I loved that quirky program.

Thanks again. Happy Tuesday.

Level 6

Here's my $0.02 worth on DPS:

What's Next For Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Users? - BobLevine.us

It's not a criticism or any kind of bashing, but it's a reality check for anyone interested in what used to be DPS.