Expand my Community achievements bar.

difference between phonegap and AEM - Mobile (DPS)

Level 5

Hi, recently, i have got sandbox access for AEM - Mobile, i am not able to find any major difference between apps -> phonegap and AEM - Mobile (new system) aka DPS. Please let me know if you have any article link to explain the difference? already gone through the quick start guide for AEM - Mobile but did not get cleared my doubts.

4 Replies

Level 2

AEM Mobile handles content distribution, CMS connections, out-of-the-box navigation and a bunch of other things.  Comparing to phonegap is like comparing apples to the water, earth and air that goes into the making of an apple; with phonegap, the sky's the limit, but you gotta build all of it.  With AEM Mobile, there's pretty significantly less flexibility, but you have to do significantly less of the basics yourself.

Level 5

Do you have any article to explain the difference, please. Still, it is not clear to me.

Employee

I'm not aware of an article that compares PhoneGap to AEM Mobile. On an app development spectrum, writing native code (such as developing in Java or Objective C) is on one side of the spectrum, AEM Mobile is on the other end (coding optional, not required), and PhoneGap is between the two. With AEM Mobile, you can build an app from scratch without any coding and have it on your device in a few minutes. You can then continue to add content to the app without having to rebuild the app, and you can build apps for iOS, Android, Windows, or the Web. With PhoneGap, you need to do some HTML / JavaScript / CSS coding to design and build an app that works on any platform.

For both PhoneGap and AEM Mobile, you can use Apache Cordova plug-ins to access native device APIs such as GPS, camera, contacts, and accelerometer. Both PhoneGap and AEM Mobile work well with AEM authoring.

PhoneGap overview: Products

AEM Mobile product overview: Mobile app development and management platform | Adobe Experience Manager

Hope this helps.

-Bob