Expand my Community achievements bar.

AEM Forms clustering

Level 2

Team - For large size (6000 pages) PDF generation, please let know if OSGi or JEE option is recommended by Adobe. Is there any clustering option in OSGi and JEE for sharing the load between multiple instances?  I don't want to use the cluster additional node as fail over instead want to make all the nodes share the pdf output service load so that the pdf generation will complete quickly. If JEE, can it solve this load balancing problem? How can I enable clustering?

4 Replies

Employee Advisor

You can refer documents below for setting up JEE cluster and further have LB in front to distribute the load. Also for PDFG, you can enable multi-thread conversion, which of course will depend on the system resource but you can look into these options to scale up your system.

https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/aem-forms/6-3/install-cluster-jboss.pdf

https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/aem-forms/6-3/prepare-install-cluster.pdf

Though the below blogs were written for LiveCycle performance improvements but hold pretty much valid for AEM forms as well.

Performance Tuning Tips for Faster LiveCycle Output | Adobe LiveCycle Blog

LiveCycle – Considerations When Processing BIG Documents | Adobe LiveCycle Blog

Adobe Experience Manager Help | Enabling multi-threaded file conversions

Level 2

Thanks. Can we not do a cluster setup in OSGi option for generating pdf through watched folders ? I have setup two AEM instance with form service and made both of them use the same input folder but load is not balanced between two since the two machines doesn't know each other that they are in cluster. So, I am looking for an option here to configure as a cluster. Please confirm if this option support or not. If not, will have to go for JEE option. In JEE option, why do we an external load balancer ? If the JEE cluster is used, AEM should take care of load balancing between the nodes right ? Do we need to install on AEM in each server for JEE cluster ?

Employee Advisor

Two different instances having the same input folder would, of course, work differently from a cluster setup. We have replied on your other post for OSGI cluster already.

You might not need LB in this case but how the load would be shared internally by the two nodes cannot be guaranteed. It might be that primary takes 70% of the total.

Employee Advisor

If you are going with JEE I have shared Install instruction already. Let's say you have JBoss, in that case, you will install AEM forms on one node only but deploy the EAR on both nodes.