Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

How to organize the assets in dam aem 6.3?

Level 1

what is the best practice to organize the assets in dam aem 6.3 ?? As per the asset type or assign under one folder? Can you make me understand with any example?? To more precise with the question ? All the assets under one pdf folder or it should be assign as per the asset typ

6 Replies

Level 10

That all depends on your use case for the assets. Some ppl organize by asset type others by time period. See these doc topic that I hope will help you --

1 - Best Practices for Assets

2 - Administering Assets

There are a lot of other links too that will help you from these topics.

Level 10

AFAIK, there is no recommendation for specific hierarchy, but most of the time this decision goes down to the customer as what would be preferred approach from business.

There may certain exception where you may consider some technical implementation as well to proceed.

Community Advisor

I agree with Praveen. Most of the business will have some kind of categorization for their documents. Its always best to have a discussion with your Digital Team/ Content Team from business and come up with the categorization they might need.

Level 2

Yes, i agree with all your replies. I do manage more than one million assets. Each asset has more than one binary for us. Business has come up with their hierarchy structure as a preference and the same is implemented. It is like

/content/dam/assets/category/subcategory/year/month/asset-folder.

Level 4

Is it possible to manage assets by putting them in the DAM and tagging them?  or do we need to build folders to catagorise?

Level 10

Most assets in the DAM are in folders. How folders are organized is driven by business needs as discussed in these replies