Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

AAM: DataSources for Multiple environment and Targeting content using AAM Segments

Level 3

Hi Experts,

I am back with new questions on Audience Manager and sure these will be answered very soon. Please see below questions -

1. Multiple Data Sources can be created in Audience Manger specific to in-bound and out-bound data flows. Usually, these data sources tells about the origin or the destination of the data. - Question: I want to isolate my data sources for different environments (Dev, Stg, Prod), Can we create the data sources specific to environments so that the dev, test or prod data can be completely isolated. e.g. dev_crm_data_source, stg_crm_data_source, prod_crm_data_source etc. If this is not right approach, what is the recommended way the multiple environments in Cloud based AAM dashboard?
  2. What can be the various Troubleshooting techniques for Audience Manager with below use case -
    1. As a standard basic setup, the customer id is being passed from website in cookie and is being captured in Analytics. I can see the data captured in Analytics specific to my users. Standard Server Side Forwarding is used to pass the data from Analytics to Audience Manager.
    2. On other hand the CRM data having customer id is successfully uploaded to Audience Manager, I can see and validate the AAM>Analytics>Onboarding Status (see the attachement). It shows the information also that "11" records are stored in AAM. "7" records are saying  No Matching AAM Id because those users haven't logged in to website yet. Also, there is Profile Merge rule is created with Cross device data source so that all records could be saved to AAM.
    3. With the signals received from CRM, I created simple Traits and Segments. I consumed one of these segment in my one Target activity but the user is not seeing the target content. Instead, s/he is seeing default content.

Please guide and let me know if there is any confusion. Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

1) You can create data sources however you'd like. Keep in mind, data sources are not specific to a specific set of data with the exception of uploaded data files. Many companies will create a data source per environment for an organization (especially when uploading data files), but it isn't always necessary.

With that said, the role of a data source has two functions, depending on the trait type / data being loaded in.  With onboarded data (inbound data files) it acts as a sudo container for the data as data files have to be uploaded to a specific data source, and the traits looking for that data are also tied to it.

For real-time data, the data source is used to ensure that traits and segments are unique for a given data source, even though this data really is shared across all data sources.

2) You will only have access to the onboarding status report if you are an Administrator, or if you been given access to those reports.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

I was able to get in touch with one of our AAM support team members. Here are their answers:

1. That will depend on the type of data. Any real-time data coming into AAM from a website is not really tied to a specific data source, but rather is made available for the entire account.  You can create a data source for each environment type and have traits and segments based off of each, but if the signals are not changing between environments (such as evar 12 sending "products") then any trait looking for this data will be realized. If the data is based on onboarded data then the data will be limited to the associated data source.

2. The best way to look at the IDs that are not being matched is to go into the Data Source settings and enable the "Enable file error sampling for 2 weeks" option under "File Format Troubleshooting".  This will allow you to view the IDs that are failing.You can also use the Visitor Profile Viewer tool to look at what segments and traits your user, or that of your tester is falling into.  You just need to pass in the AAM UUID and the system will bring up the results. Beyond that, I recommend them submitting a ticket to Customer Care for additional help.

Cheers,
Jantzen

Level 3

Thanks again Jantzen for quick reply. Could you please help in clarifying little more doubts -

1. So, for utilizing the data sources for multiple environments: The recommendation is if the signals or input data is common across the environment then we should use only one data source. Kindly correct me if there is any understanding gap.
  2. Another thing regarding troubleshooting, I was exploring the AAM Dashboard>Analytics>Onboarding Status it is providing lot of useful information about onboarded data. But surprisingly, my colleague is seeing this link while I am NOT seeing it. Under Launch Enterprise Dashboard, we both have rights on Marketing Cloud - Analytics, Audience Manager and Target. - Is there any specific folder/user group I need to be part of to see Onboarding Status link. Kindly help.

Thanks!

Correct answer by
Level 10

1) You can create data sources however you'd like. Keep in mind, data sources are not specific to a specific set of data with the exception of uploaded data files. Many companies will create a data source per environment for an organization (especially when uploading data files), but it isn't always necessary.

With that said, the role of a data source has two functions, depending on the trait type / data being loaded in.  With onboarded data (inbound data files) it acts as a sudo container for the data as data files have to be uploaded to a specific data source, and the traits looking for that data are also tied to it.

For real-time data, the data source is used to ensure that traits and segments are unique for a given data source, even though this data really is shared across all data sources.

2) You will only have access to the onboarding status report if you are an Administrator, or if you been given access to those reports.

Level 10

Did you still need assistance with this issue? If not, is there an reply here that we could mark as correct in case others find this thread?