Were you able to find a solution with Amit's help? If not, please log a ticket to our support team to have it investigated.
Not yet, I will raise a ticket with Adobe support.
Let us know if you were able to resolve this (or our support team) and if there was something we missed here.
I have not contacted the support team yet. Will keep you posted. Thank you very much for following up!
Any news so far?
We kept this stock management testing on hold.I would certainly get back back to you, if i get an answer. Thank you very much for your followup.