Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

YTD comparison in the date range

Level 2

Dear Adobe Analytics experts,

I am contacting you regarding the issue we face in our company by pulling the reports.

In order to analyze the numbers we often use YTD comparison. Nevertheless, so far Adobe Analytics does not provide with this option and one has to type in the needed numbers manually.  Please see the screenshot http://awesomescreenshot.com/0641j9142f

Could you please add this option in the Select preset YTD option? Your assistance is much appreciated.

Kind regards and many thanks

Sabina

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

I see. Well standard reports don't have YTD reporting in the exact format you're looking for (unless you manually adjust a date range field), however there are a couple alternatives I can think of that would fully automate that process:

• Dashboard reportlets: If you have a report how you want it, click the dashboard button, which will give you can option for rolling or fixed date ranges. Set the start date to fixed, and the end date to rolling. I just barely created a test reportlet with the compare dates feature - if dates roll, then you can use one reportlet. If only the first date range rolls, you can use two reportlets.
  • Report builder: This is the Excel integration capability of Adobe Analytics. Put the first day of this year, the first day of last year, today's date, and today's date last year each in separate cells. Use Excel's DATE() function so you never have to upate them manually. For example, this would be the formula you'd use for January 1st of last year that would automatically update the very first day of 2014:

=DATE(YEAR(TODAY()-1),1,1)
    (More info on Excel's date functionality can be found here)

Once you have the proper date ranges set, you can create requests using date ranges based on those cells. From that point forward, refreshing the requests would always give you the exact data you're looking for without ever having to tamper with the date ranges.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Level 2

Dear Gigazelle

I thank you a lot for your answer. Nevertheless, the main users of the wished feature are not Web Analysts experts and I believe, it is considered as an advanced feature. Additionally, the time resource is also an issue and to build a report in the Report builder or create separate dashboard  reportlets for the each wished report will take a lot of time.

Could we possible submit a request to introduce this feature as a customer feedback? I think we are not the only company which uses this comparison and will appreciate this improvement a lot.

Many thanks in advance

Sabina

Level 2

Hey Gigazelle

Selection This year aint really valuable. Why? If I want to see the results, let s say instances YTD2013 as of today I can choose This year and it works indeed, BUT if I want to compare the results YTD 23.07 with the same data range from the previous year selection This year wont help me, as it will include all 2012 and corrupt the comparison.

Is there other way to compare the dates ?

In the attachment you will see the data which we need and so far I can only select it manually

Thank a lot

Sabina

Level 1

How do I become an Adobe partner? I can sell Adobe products. For example, my users will need Photoshop and use it for advertising techniques. You have a partnership program?

Employee Advisor

Absolutely! Our Product Management team closely watches our Ideas Exchange, and most of our new features are governed by the suggestions made here:

http://ideas.omniture.com

Go ahead and make your request there; the more users vote on your suggestion, the more likely it will be for it to be included in a future release.

Level 2

Hi Gigazelle

I've posted the idea and truly hope it will supported and implemented in the close future :)

Thanks for the provided informationt!

Employee Advisor

Hi Sabina!

Unfortunately your screenshot image isn't working, so I'm not able to see the context of what you're looking at. Would selecting the preset 'This year' work in context of your reporting? That would always give you year-to-date data.

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

I see. Well standard reports don't have YTD reporting in the exact format you're looking for (unless you manually adjust a date range field), however there are a couple alternatives I can think of that would fully automate that process:

• Dashboard reportlets: If you have a report how you want it, click the dashboard button, which will give you can option for rolling or fixed date ranges. Set the start date to fixed, and the end date to rolling. I just barely created a test reportlet with the compare dates feature - if dates roll, then you can use one reportlet. If only the first date range rolls, you can use two reportlets.
  • Report builder: This is the Excel integration capability of Adobe Analytics. Put the first day of this year, the first day of last year, today's date, and today's date last year each in separate cells. Use Excel's DATE() function so you never have to upate them manually. For example, this would be the formula you'd use for January 1st of last year that would automatically update the very first day of 2014:

=DATE(YEAR(TODAY()-1),1,1)
    (More info on Excel's date functionality can be found here)

Once you have the proper date ranges set, you can create requests using date ranges based on those cells. From that point forward, refreshing the requests would always give you the exact data you're looking for without ever having to tamper with the date ranges.

Level 1

I am also want know who I also can became