Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Youtube Video Title Tracking with Youtube Playback extension

Community Advisor

Hello everyone,

I am using Youtube Playback extension to track youtube video. I am able to catch the event but I cannot find the Title of Video if I use %Video Title% data element. 

Any suggestion?

Luca_Lattarini_1-1671016124273.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Luca,

Here's the workflow for using my extension:

1. Install my extension.  No configuration is needed.
  2. Add a Rule that will fire when your YouTube videos are loaded in your web page. E.g. DOM Ready. In that Rule, add the "Enable video playback tracking" action from my extension. You can also select the checkbox to load the YouTube IFrame API.
  3. Create data elements from my extension, e.g. Video Title.
  4. Add another Rule that will fire with any of the events from my extension. In that Rule, add whatever actions you want to run when YouTube events occur, e.g. set variables for AA. In those actions, you can use the data elements created from step 3.

How it works:

• (assuming your rule from step 2 above uses DOM Ready) When the browser loads the web page with the YouTube videos, the Rule from step 2 runs. This enables tracking of the YouTube videos by setting them up to work with the YouTube IFrame API.
  • (assuming your rule from step 4 above works with my "Video Paused" event) When you pause the video, my extension's event gets triggered and causes the Rule from step 4 to run. This event includes all of the information about the video at that point, including the video title. So the "Video Title" data element would have the video title and can be returned to the Rule's actions.

There are 2 implications here:

1. If my extension's "Enable video playback tracking" action never runs somewhere, then my extension will not be able to track any playback events from your YouTube videos.
  2. All of my extension's data elements are only available when used in Rules that use my extension's events. They can't be used with any other events.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Community Advisor

Is this a new implementation? Or an existing one? If existing, did it work previously?

I suspect that YouTube changed their API again, which means the extension may need to be updated.

If the other fields are working for you, this is the most likely scenario....

Community Advisor

Hello @Jennifer_Dungan , i just implemented it yesterday. 

Thanks,

Luca

Community Advisor

OK, so you being new to this, it's hard to gauge if this used to work or not (I suspect it did, as I've seen other people on here who use that extension and no one has mentioned that before).

My suspicion is still that YouTube has made recent changes to their API, and the video title isn't available the same way that the extension is currently configured to grab it.

I believe the extension you are using is the one coded by @yuhuisg who is actually here frequently... maybe he can take a quick look?

Community Advisor

Hi, I'm the developer of that YouTube Playback extension.

I've just checked with a test page and could see the video title being returned properly with that same Video Title data element.

Are you using your Video Title data element from within a Rule that gets triggered with one of my YouTube Playback events?

Community Advisor

Hello @yuhuisg , 

Yes, I am using the Video Title element mentioned in the Youtube Playback events. 

Shall I create the Video Title Data Element or shall i expect will be installed with the extension?

Thanks

Luca

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Luca,

Here's the workflow for using my extension:

1. Install my extension.  No configuration is needed.
  2. Add a Rule that will fire when your YouTube videos are loaded in your web page. E.g. DOM Ready. In that Rule, add the "Enable video playback tracking" action from my extension. You can also select the checkbox to load the YouTube IFrame API.
  3. Create data elements from my extension, e.g. Video Title.
  4. Add another Rule that will fire with any of the events from my extension. In that Rule, add whatever actions you want to run when YouTube events occur, e.g. set variables for AA. In those actions, you can use the data elements created from step 3.

How it works:

• (assuming your rule from step 2 above uses DOM Ready) When the browser loads the web page with the YouTube videos, the Rule from step 2 runs. This enables tracking of the YouTube videos by setting them up to work with the YouTube IFrame API.
  • (assuming your rule from step 4 above works with my "Video Paused" event) When you pause the video, my extension's event gets triggered and causes the Rule from step 4 to run. This event includes all of the information about the video at that point, including the video title. So the "Video Title" data element would have the video title and can be returned to the Rule's actions.

There are 2 implications here:

1. If my extension's "Enable video playback tracking" action never runs somewhere, then my extension will not be able to track any playback events from your YouTube videos.
  2. All of my extension's data elements are only available when used in Rules that use my extension's events. They can't be used with any other events.

Hope that helps!

Level 3

Follow below steps to get the YouTube video title.

1. Install YouTube Playback extension.

2. Create a data element select extension as YouTube Playback and data element type as Video Title (To fetch the video name)

3.Create a rule EVENTS= Window loaded then ACTIONS= select extension as YouTube Playback, Action Type=Enable video playback tracking.

4. Create a rule EVENTS= based on your requirement EX: Video start, Video 25%, Video End etc then ACTIONS select extension as Adobe analytics, Action type as set variable, set a required Evars/Props select set as data element created in step-2.

Ex: Evars/Props 40 set as video title data element

s.eVar40Video Name
s.event28Video Start
s.event29Video Completes
s.event3025
s.event3150
s.event3275

Give a thumps up if you like my solution.