Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.
SOLVED

why use visits*bounce% for metric for specific referrer?

Level 8
Level 8

Hi there,

A question just come up to my mind: why people use Visits*Bounce% to evaluate the effective traffic from specific referrer?

It seems that Bounce, Bounce% are metrics match with Entries, for a site level Entries = Visits, but for a specific referrer, e.g. Organic Search or Referrer = Google.com, the Visits does not equal to Entries.

Will it more reasonable to use Entries*Bounce% as the metric?

E.g., when I set segment: visit level, referrer = google.com, then should use above metric instead of Visits*Bounce%.

Thanks.

H_L

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Thanks for that clarification about what you had meant about Entries.

I think you're trying to answer the question: "When a user lands on one of my subdomains, what are the chances that he's going to bounce?" Based on your observation about Entries and Visits per subdomain, basing Bounce% on Entries makes the most sense. If Visits were used, I don't think you'll be answering that question properly.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

You're right that using Visits doesn't make sense because there could be more than 1 Referrer per Visit. But in most cases, people come to a website via one method each time. So it's generally okay to assume 1 Referrer per Visit. It's not 100% guaranteed, but by-and-large, it's okay.

BTW your suggestion of using Entries instead of Visits doesn't make any difference, because as you've said, Entries = Visits.

Level 8
Level 8

Thanks for the reply.

But for the last part of your reply, seems there is misunderstanding, what i mean "Entries = Visits" is for site or domain level, when apply to specific referrer, Entries does not equal to visits.

E.g., for one of our subdomain, 50% visits come from Search Engine, but 75% Entries from Search Engine.

So IMO, by using visits*bounce% is reasonable to site level but not reasonable to referrer type or referrer level.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Thanks for that clarification about what you had meant about Entries.

I think you're trying to answer the question: "When a user lands on one of my subdomains, what are the chances that he's going to bounce?" Based on your observation about Entries and Visits per subdomain, basing Bounce% on Entries makes the most sense. If Visits were used, I don't think you'll be answering that question properly.