Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Omniture SiteCatalyst SAINT File Uploads to FTP

Level 1

So...here's the scoop. I have a 50Mb SAINT file split into 5 different files. I have uploaded the files into 3 different FTP accounts I have created (using the correct template to create the SAINT tab document) and I wait.....day 1, day 2. Nothing. Is there a particular folder I should create in the FTP directory for a successful upload? I run a browser export to determine if my entries have posted (which for this instance, have all been unsuccessful) - is there a different report I should be running? Is there something in the file that is missing? I have attached an example of the file for review.....HELP! angry

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Classifications are report-specific.  You can run a breakdown between one report and the classified report to carry the values over.  You can also build out a segment, if appropriate.

Otherwise, you would want to upload the classification to any report where you need to see the classified elements.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Employee

Sorry to hear that you're having an issue with your SAINT upload.  Before you go and reformat/re-upload everything, let's see if the system is simply stuck in processing.

Follow these steps:

1. Log in to my.omniture.com
  2. Navigate to the Classification Importer menu:
    • Left Nav "Star" > Admin Tools > Classification Importer
  3. Click 'Browser Export' at the top of the page
  4. Select the appropriate report suite and classified variable
  5. Click 'Export File'

Quick note:  That will export 50,000 rows of variable elements and their respective classification settings. If you need more than 50,000 rows, you have two options:

1. Check the 'Rows with empty columns' box to only pull down unclassified key elements
    • This method is essentially negative confirmation ("It's not here, so it must be classified"), which is not my preferred method of validation
  2. Use the FTP Export, which will obviously require that you have a place set up to receive the file

Regardless of the method you choose, your final action should be the same.  You will want to search through the SiteCatalyst output to see if any of the classifications you uploaded show up in the file (or didn't show up, if you used the 'empty columns' method described above).  If so, then that means the file was accepted by the system and is simply still being processed.  If the data you uploaded is not showing up in the export, then SiteCatalyst rejected the file for some reason.

Run through that analysis and let me know what you find.  If it was rejected, we can talk next steps.

Level 1

I have run the "Classification Importer" report many many times, and I can see the data that I added via the GUI Import (but still none uploaded via FTP: I have uploaded a new file = 42mb Monday and still have nothing in SiteCat.) Also, I don't see any of my uploaded data in any of my other reports - I can only see verification of the data I have uploaded by running the "Classification Importer" report....

Employee

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like there are two issues:

1. Data uploaded through the FTP is not even making it into SiteCatalyst for processing, and
  2. Data uploaded through the browser upload is not processing through to the reporting interface

Does that sound correct?

Employee

I would strongly recommend stopping further work on this initiative and starting a ticket with ClientCare.  The processing bottleneck in SiteCatalyst needs to be reviewed by a technician.

Employee

I neglected to mention one, other option.  You can try completely deleting the classification and starting over.  This would involve the removal of the classification structure in the admin console.  Make sure to extract all data you need to store if you go this route.  I know of one company who recently had a similar issue, and starting from scratch resolved it.

Level 1

Do you mean the ID (I am attempting to update) in the report suite manager? (Ex: "TRP- Global DEV")

Level 4

Did you include the .fin file also to FTP folder?

When you upload SAINT files through FTP server, there should be an empty .fin file with the exact Name as that of your classification file in FTP (e.g. Classifications.txt & Classifications.fin)

Employee

Yes, in the report suite manager: Admin > Report Suites > Select Report Suite > Edit Settings > Conversion Classifications

Again, make certain to extract any pre-loaded classification data from SiteCatalyst that you would need to reload.  Once you click delete, all of that will be gone.

Level 1

Ok. I am ok with the upload / FTP issue. Now I need to validate my data: when I run a Browser Export report I can see the correct data returned in the report, however none of these values when running reports like "Keyword" and "Campaign" reports....any suggestions?

Level 1

I have done that too....I just re-uploaded the files with the .fin file at the same time. Beyond that, I will wait for results before I try any deleting of classifications (not really interested in doing that as a "solution"....simple uploading should work as designed.

Correct answer by
Employee

Classifications are report-specific.  You can run a breakdown between one report and the classified report to carry the values over.  You can also build out a segment, if appropriate.

Otherwise, you would want to upload the classification to any report where you need to see the classified elements.