Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Implement custom visitorID with DTM

Level 1

Hi guys

I am complete Adobe Analytic rookie but happened to need to modify existing setup to include visitorID variable.  The implementation is using DTM and the custom for the system variables are already properly set. visitorID however is native to AA. According to documentation I should just set it to whatever I want s.visitorID = 'whateverIwant'; however I find it hard to find exactly where I should be making the change. Is there a comprehensible example to go with? 

I would prefer not to mess with launch.....js file and if possible to set it with the _satelite object

e.g I am thinking something like 

_satelite.track('DirectCall', visitorID: 'whateverIwant')

Second: once it is implemented it should be possible to see 'vid' in the cookie directly in the browser correct? If that is not so what is the best way to confirm that the fix is correctly applied?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hey there,

visitorID is now integrated in Adobe Analytics tool/extension in DTM and Launch respectively. As rightly mentioned by you, it helps you set custom unique identifier for the visitor.

https://docs.adobe.com/content/help/en/analytics/implementation/vars/config-vars/visitorid.html

You may go to DTM > Go to your property > Edit Adobe Analytics tool > Cookies > Visitor ID:

vid.PNG

Similarly, you may set Visitor ID in Launch.

Once implemented, you will see 'vid' in the server call(Developer tool > Network tab > Filter by b/ss)

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

Hey there,

visitorID is now integrated in Adobe Analytics tool/extension in DTM and Launch respectively. As rightly mentioned by you, it helps you set custom unique identifier for the visitor.

https://docs.adobe.com/content/help/en/analytics/implementation/vars/config-vars/visitorid.html

You may go to DTM > Go to your property > Edit Adobe Analytics tool > Cookies > Visitor ID:

vid.PNG

Similarly, you may set Visitor ID in Launch.

Once implemented, you will see 'vid' in the server call(Developer tool > Network tab > Filter by b/ss)

Hope this helps!

Level 1

Is there a way to set it directly from my system code behind?

I mean from AppMeasument.js for example?

Reason is that want to assign my own unique value as visitorId so I need to be able to access it from the project. 

Employee

Hey,

Sure you can.

s.visitorID = "abc123";

You can set it in Adobe Analytics tool > Custom code.

OR

You can set custom value via DTM and Launch too.

Create a data element to populate the object with custom value and assign it in Visitor ID text box as in my previous response.