Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to use list vars on product/result pages to calculate CTR?

Level 1

I have a question that someone hopefully will be able to help me with:

We run a classified site that often list out result pages with a lot of classified ads. We would like to track how often various ads are being shown to the user on a result page, and how often the different ads are being clicked. In other words we want to calculate the click rate for classified ads on the result pages. Here is an example of such a result page: http://m.finn.no/car/used/search.html?filters=

As you can see, the page contains around 200 results/classified ads. We are wondering if we can somehow use List vars to register the ID for all classified ads when the page loads (or even as they become visible to the user when scrolling?), and then an evar to track the classified ad being clicked. It would also be highly interesting to add list position (where on the page the ad is being shown).

Any suggestions or tips on how to best solve this? I guess we will somehow need to use List vars, but just not sure how to put it all together to get meaningful reports out of it :)

Thanks,
Ricky

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

HI Ricky,

are you able to wireframe up what a report would look like.  I think the best way to provide some advice on a solution is to understand what your end goal is.  

E.g. Are you wanting a report containing all 200 results in their own rows with number of times shown, number of times clicked?

Cheers

Kristi

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 4

HI Ricky,

are you able to wireframe up what a report would look like.  I think the best way to provide some advice on a solution is to understand what your end goal is.  

E.g. Are you wanting a report containing all 200 results in their own rows with number of times shown, number of times clicked?

Cheers

Kristi

Level 1

Hi Kristi,

Thanks for replying. 

So what I want to achieve, is a report that shows me all the ads (ad ID) that have been shown on search result pages, the number of times they have been shown on a search result page (impressions), and the number of times they have been clicked. Then I will create a calculated metric that gives me the CTR for each of the ad IDs. This is is in essence what I would like to do. Being a classified site with very dynamic content/products, we show our categories and products as search results, rather than "static" catory pages.

This is an example of a product listing for our car vertical/category (unfiltered): http://m.finn.no/car/used/search.html?filters=

While this is the same category, but with a filter: http://m.finn.no/car/used/search.html?make=0.818

The content/products listed in each of these results will most likely change every minute or so as new cars for sale are being added constantly. So that is why I think List Vars might be the solution for us as we need to list all the Ad IDs everytime the result page is loaded and store the values in way that we can use it to count impressions. And then when someone clicks on of the ads in the result page, we need to track it as a click on that Ad ID.

This is what I imagine a  simple report would look like (see attachment - I just used Excel to create the table).

Did that make sense? Any tips on how to best track this data would be appreciated. If you feel you have a solution for it, please feel inspired to also explore a way we could track only the Ads (Ad IDs) that is visible to the user within the screen, and not the whole page (as not all users will scroll down and see all the ads).