Expand my Community achievements bar.

How to do away with the additional URL that appends the site URL implemented for tracking in an eVar?

Level 1

I am writing to bring to your attention a user interface issue we've encountered with our current implementation of eVar for tracking purposes.

In our setup, when a user clicks on any tracked section of our website, the URL is appended with the value "?promo=trackcode." For example, if you land on the homepage, say www.xyz.com and click on the logo in the header, which is intended to navigate back to the homepage, the click is tracked using an eVar. However, this eVar value also appears in the redirected URL.

As a result, the landing page URL changes to something like "xyz.com/home?promo=header." This behavior leads to a negative user experience, as all clicks are accompanied by this promo value in the URL. Moreover, it has implications for our SEO efforts. 

While it is crucial for us to maintain tracking, we would like to eliminate the additional text in the URL (i.e., "?promo=...") to improve both user experience and SEO performance.

Could someone please guide me on how to retain the tracking without having it displayed in the URL?

Thank you.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Reply

Level 6

Hi @darshak ,

If you just want to track the button clicks, one way is to do a custom link tracking. That means on every relevant click you can pass something like this.textContent along with a dedicated event to count clicks. This won't require you to add any additional params in URL.