Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.
SOLVED

How to convert a time dimension into metric

Level 2

Hi, 

The data on my adobe analytics platform is capturing the time spent on specific flows (hard coded before) as a dimension. So it shows that how many times xyz flow took 19 secs, 20 secs, 2300 secs and so on. I want to create this into a metric so that I can calculate average, median, mode etc for those specific flows. Any recommendations on how to do this the best way possible? 

Thank you. 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

That is correct. Dimension values are always stored as strings. So even though you and I see "19 sec" and recognise it as 19 seconds, to AA, that is the string "19 sec" (like "one nine space s e c") and has no other knowledge of it aside from being a string of alphabets and numbers and punctuation.

If you need to report on time as a metric, you should change your implementation to track your time durations to a success event in seconds. Then, in Analysis Workspace, though that metric gets reported as an integer, you can create a Calculated Metric from it and format it as "Time" to get a more familiar hh:mm:ss format.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

So you are capturing time spent flows into a custom dimension like a prop or eVar, correct?

I don't believe you can convert this to a metric... you would have to take the data external to Adobe (such as Data Warehouse Export, Report Builder, API, or Raw Data Feeds) and process convert the text to a numeric value for your calculations.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

That is correct. Dimension values are always stored as strings. So even though you and I see "19 sec" and recognise it as 19 seconds, to AA, that is the string "19 sec" (like "one nine space s e c") and has no other knowledge of it aside from being a string of alphabets and numbers and punctuation.

If you need to report on time as a metric, you should change your implementation to track your time durations to a success event in seconds. Then, in Analysis Workspace, though that metric gets reported as an integer, you can create a Calculated Metric from it and format it as "Time" to get a more familiar hh:mm:ss format.

Level 2

Hey,
Are you calculating the time spent using plugin or a custom code?