SOLVED

Events tracked within the wrong Report Suite

Level 1

Hi all,

I have two tag properties mobile:
Property 1 and Property 2

That are connected to two different report suites, respectively:
RS 1 and RS 2

Property 1 and RS1 are used to track events from a mobile app up until July 2022.

Property 2 and RS2 are used to track events from the same mobile app from July 2022 onward.

I noticed that the report suite 1 contains events that belong to the report suite 2. 

How can that be possible? 

Thanks a lot for your help.

-

Matteo

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

It is not expected for events tracked using Property 1 and Report Suite 1 to appear in Report Suite 2, which is associated with Property 2 and events tracked from July 2022 onward. However, there are a few potential explanations for why this might be happening:

1. Data migration issues: It's possible that there were issues with the data migration process when transitioning from Property 1 and Report Suite 1 to Property 2 and Report Suite 2. This could have caused some events to be incorrectly associated with the wrong report suite.

2. Tracking code errors: Another potential explanation is that there are errors in the tracking code that is being used to collect data for both report suites. These errors could be causing data to be sent to the wrong report suite or causing events to be double-counted in both report suites.

3. Cross-suite linking: It's also possible that there is some cross-suite linking occurring between the two report suites. This could be intentional, but it could also be the result of errors in the configuration of the report suites or the linking between them.

To investigate the issue further, it may be helpful to review the tracking code being used for both report suites, as well as any cross-suite linking that has been set up. You may also want to check for any data migration issues or other potential causes of the problem.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

It is not expected for events tracked using Property 1 and Report Suite 1 to appear in Report Suite 2, which is associated with Property 2 and events tracked from July 2022 onward. However, there are a few potential explanations for why this might be happening:

1. Data migration issues: It's possible that there were issues with the data migration process when transitioning from Property 1 and Report Suite 1 to Property 2 and Report Suite 2. This could have caused some events to be incorrectly associated with the wrong report suite.

2. Tracking code errors: Another potential explanation is that there are errors in the tracking code that is being used to collect data for both report suites. These errors could be causing data to be sent to the wrong report suite or causing events to be double-counted in both report suites.

3. Cross-suite linking: It's also possible that there is some cross-suite linking occurring between the two report suites. This could be intentional, but it could also be the result of errors in the configuration of the report suites or the linking between them.

To investigate the issue further, it may be helpful to review the tracking code being used for both report suites, as well as any cross-suite linking that has been set up. You may also want to check for any data migration issues or other potential causes of the problem.

Level 1

Thanks a lot for your reply. I'd like to understand a bit better the "cross-suite linking" option. Is there any specific setting in the report suites I should look at?

-

M

Community Advisor

It could also be that users have older versions of your app installed... can you check the app version in the data that is still going to the old suite?

We have old legacy apps that still have data coming in (and to the old tracking suites)... despite having rebuilt the apps fully back in 2020... 

This unfortunately is a reality of mobile apps, that despite the best efforts to get people updated to the latest versions... there are often remnants of the old versions out in the wild...  so long as the traffic is low, you should be able to ignore that data.. 

Unless you are saying that you added new tracking features to your apps, that are supposed to send to RS2, and in fact are still sending to RS1.. if there is new tracking that is going to the wrong place, you probably need to check with your developers.. that they have no test builds or prod builds that could still be linking to the old property.....

Level 1

The second scenario is exactly what is happening, I see events from newer apps being tracked on the legacy report suite.

I have checked with the developers and it seems (but I'll check again ) that the configuration on all newer versions is correct. As a matter of fact, I do not see any custom events from new app versions being tracked on the old RS but only Adobe "native" events, such as Pages, Actions or the App Id (a.k.a App version number).

Any hints on how that could be happening?

The number of those "wrong" events being tracked is very little, but I'm looking at the data from the legacy RS in order to understand the impact of deprecating the old app versions and I'd like to be sure that the numbers are 100% reliable.

Thanks a lot.

-

M

Community Advisor

If you compare the build numbers that are recorded... do you see different builds? Or are they separate.. separate builds would indicate that there are some builds that just aren't updated (and you can provide those specific builds to your developers)

If the same build is showing in both suites... do the times correlate? As in, maybe the information is being sent to 2 suites simultaneously (i.e. 2 suites are configured)... if they are all at different times.. it might indicate that the file being loaded into the app is cached... you might try re-deploying your Launch Property again... and if you still have issues, you may need to ask Client Care how to clear this... 

Is it always the same specific events that are showing up in RS1? Maybe your developers have multiple configs in the app (so that main actions are using file A, and some events are using B - if you have multiple developers, someone new may have added new features at some point, and not realized there was a global config, and added their own variant.... which might explain why your developers are saying they changed the files.. they may be checking the main global file and are completely unaware of a second config for specific actions....)

Do you have AEP Assurance extension installed on your app? This can really help you to debug what is happening... you can get access to a lot more data than testing with just a Proxy tool like Charles or Fiddler.. but if you don't have it, I suggest testing the same builds as are showing up in RS1 and seeing if you can catch any instances of the data going to the wrong suite....

This will require some deep div testing I think to try and pinpoint the issue.. hopefully this will help identify some of the first things to review.... Good Luck!