Expand my Community achievements bar.

Webinar: Adobe Customer Journey Analytics Product Innovations: A Quarterly Overview. Come learn for the Adobe Analytics Product team who will be covering AJO reporting, Graph-based Stitching, guided analysis for CJA, and more!
SOLVED

Equals Any Of compared to Equals definition

Level 2

In building dashboards, when I try to measure visits for a group of pages, I have noticeably higher counts if I use "Page equals any of (list all the page names separate by comma)" compared to creating a definition row for each page name and separating them with boolean "OR".  What is the reason for this variance - my assumption is that they would be same visit count and using "equals any of" just helps cut down time of having to create a row for each page name.  Is it better to create a line/row for each page name separate with "OR" to get a more accurate count?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I just did a test on my data, and both segments match exactly for me... 

Would you be willing to share screenshots of your segment definitions? Perhaps there is something else there that is causing a discrepancy?

However, as for which to use (when they are matching values) comes down to a few factors; one of which being personal preference

But for me, personally... I prefer listing the items out individually with "OR"... this is for a few reasons:

• It's easier to read (if you have a long list of items, every item is visible, you don't have to side scroll through a small input box to see what is there - yes it makes the segment itself longer, but I still find it more clear to see what I have, and I can collapse containers if I need to, and reorder items easier to by in alphabetical order for potential future review/additions
  • Since it's "equals" you can leverage the auto-suggest "equals" value and choose from the loaded list of values (and see if there are variations that you need to include)... with "equals any of" you need to make sure everything is typed correctly, no spelling mistakes or typos, and again, it it's a long list, it can be easier to miss an item
  • Segments using "Equals" are compatible with Data Warehouse, "Equals any of" is not... 

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I just did a test on my data, and both segments match exactly for me... 

Would you be willing to share screenshots of your segment definitions? Perhaps there is something else there that is causing a discrepancy?

However, as for which to use (when they are matching values) comes down to a few factors; one of which being personal preference

But for me, personally... I prefer listing the items out individually with "OR"... this is for a few reasons:

• It's easier to read (if you have a long list of items, every item is visible, you don't have to side scroll through a small input box to see what is there - yes it makes the segment itself longer, but I still find it more clear to see what I have, and I can collapse containers if I need to, and reorder items easier to by in alphabetical order for potential future review/additions
  • Since it's "equals" you can leverage the auto-suggest "equals" value and choose from the loaded list of values (and see if there are variations that you need to include)... with "equals any of" you need to make sure everything is typed correctly, no spelling mistakes or typos, and again, it it's a long list, it can be easier to miss an item
  • Segments using "Equals" are compatible with Data Warehouse, "Equals any of" is not... 

Level 2

Thanks for responding so quickly.  

Please see attached screenshots, what I'm allowed to share of the two definitions.  I tried to indicate that I'm using commas to separate the page names in the "Equals any of" definition.  "pagename1, pagename2, etc"

Let me know if I missed something in my definitions that might be causing the variance.  Right now, the "Equals any of" is creating a much higher visit count than "Equals" and "OR" definition.

-Michelle

Community Advisor

Thanks, both look correct... do you have anything else happening that might impact the data? Segments at the panel level... segments embedded in the freeform table?

Level 2

No, there is no segment applied at panel level or in the freeform table.  I'm not sure why the values are not matching.  Any other ideas?

Community Advisor

Hmm this is a hard one as I cannot replicate the issue, and I understand not being able to share real segment screenshots.... 

I know you need "Visit" level, but can you try with Hit? Then try breaking down by Page and see if anything odd gets returned?

Level 2

I did some troubleshooting and found that a few URLs in the definition were not being included in the counts.  I had to re-select the page names from the definitions drop-down a few times before they saved correctly. I added in all the page names in the same way, but some were included in counts, and some were not.  Is this a known issue? 

Community Advisor

I've seen that happen a few times sporadically.... I thought it was my computer being slow and out of memory (since the interface is all built in JavaScript and is client side).... hearing someone else having issues now makes me wonder.....