Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Desktop Application Tracking

Level 1

Hi All,

I would like to track a desktop application built on Electron framework using AngularJS.

What would be the best way to implement adobe analytics tracking for the desktop application? Is it possible to use SDK for tracking?

Please share any documentation/references available.

Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

There is not any official documentation/reference to track desktop applications using Adobe Analytics as far as I know. I am also not sure if that is covered by the contract to track desktop applications as it is usually for websites and mobile apps.

I have no knowledge of the Electron framework. But if it can run the desktop application just like running a localhost website on a user's computer with an embedded browser, you may track it as if is a website with Adobe Launch, and of course, the tracking will only happen when the user's computer is connected to the Internet.

However, if the desktop application runs natively without any context for JavaScript execution, you have a hard way to go for implementing the tracking by either

In both cases, the challenge is how to maintain the user identity manually, as there are Adobe Visitor ID services for both websites and mobile apps, which is missing in the desktop application scenario.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

There is not any official documentation/reference to track desktop applications using Adobe Analytics as far as I know. I am also not sure if that is covered by the contract to track desktop applications as it is usually for websites and mobile apps.

I have no knowledge of the Electron framework. But if it can run the desktop application just like running a localhost website on a user's computer with an embedded browser, you may track it as if is a website with Adobe Launch, and of course, the tracking will only happen when the user's computer is connected to the Internet.

However, if the desktop application runs natively without any context for JavaScript execution, you have a hard way to go for implementing the tracking by either

In both cases, the challenge is how to maintain the user identity manually, as there are Adobe Visitor ID services for both websites and mobile apps, which is missing in the desktop application scenario.