Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.
SOLVED

Data from a Nested Hit Containers

Level 1

I want to isolate customers with a certain product. What is the best way to do this?

Is this the best way to approach what I'm wanting: 
Screenshot 2024-06-10 at 3.25.58 PM.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Thanks for the update... in this scenario:

VISIT [

HIT Container [

HIT Container [

Page equals Android Page Name

OR

Product equals iOS Page Name

]

AND

HIT Container [

Product equals Product 1

OR

Product equals Product 2

]

]

]

This would return all hits in your visit that had hits with the following combination:

• Android Page Name AND Product 1
  • Android Page Name AND Product 2
  • iOS Page Name AND Product 1
  • iOS Page Name AND Product 2

Technically 2 of those combinations would never exist (since I assume that Product 1 only belongs to Android and Product 2 only belongs to iOS (but technically in theory that is what could happen)

And because the scope is Visit, if the user did this:

• Home Page
  • Category 1
  • Search
  • Category 2
  • Product Page for Product 1**
  • Product Page for Product 3

ALL those pages would be returned because you have the hit that matches Product Page and Product 1.

In my example, only the matching Hit "Product Page and Product 1" would be returned, which I think is closer to what you are looking for?

I am working on a series of Articles for the Experiences by You section about Segment building (the first one release was one of the more advanced ones looking at exclusion logic https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/experiences-by-you/experiences-by-you/analytics/analysis-..., but it still has some information that might help you while I work on the remainder of the series, the next article should be out soonish), and I will be doing a session in the upcoming Skill Exchange in Aug that will talk about Segment and Container Scope...  Hopefully these can help you out. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

I think we need a bit more information here.

If you're looking for people who saw a product what is the page name doing? Also, in your example, what operator is between the two hit containers? Is it an 'and' or an 'or'?

Generally, if you're only looking for a single product, you just need the product in either a hit or visit container, depending on what you want to return.

Level 1

Screenshot 2024-06-10 at 3.25.58 PM.png

The product can be viewed by different types of users. (i.e. post login pages are displayed according to profile.) Only certain users will be eligible for this page/product combination. Two pages are used to cover Android and iOS.

I'd like to know how many saw this specific page/product combination. If I remove the outer hit container, I know the visits are much larger, but I'm unclear what data is being returned without the outer hit container. Is this a Visit where the combination was viewed multiple times? Updated the diagram. Thanks

Community Advisor

Like @MandyGeorge said, a little more information is needed.

First, fundamentally what are you trying to return? This will determine what the segment scope should be. Right now you seem to be using Visit scope, which will return all hits within the visits that meet the inside criteria. This will return pages that are not the specified products/page combinations.

If you want to return all data for the users that meet a criteria you can use Visitor scope, and if you only want the page/product combinations to be returned you would use Hit (you can still pair that type of segment with the UV metric to get the user count).

Now, in your sample segment, there is still a missing operator between your two lowest level containers... so we cannot tell you what the outcome will be with that info missing.

However, based on your description, it sounds like you have different pages (one for web and one for app, and I am assuming 2 different products for the different platforms?)

I would actually be more tempted to build a segment like this:

HIT [

HIT Container [

Page equals Website Page Name

AND

Product equals Website Product Name

]

OR

HIT Container [

Page equals App Page Name

AND

Product equals App Product Name

]

]

Basically I am explicitly looking for the hit combination of the Web Page/Product OR the App Page/Product combinations. I am also deferring to the HIT segment scope because I don't know if you really want all pages in visits that contain this combo or not.

But this segment would allow you to pair with Page Views (and only get the views for those two explicit combinations), with Visits to get a count of the visits that saw those combinations, and with Unique Visitors to get the visitor count who saw those combinations.

Level 1

Sorry, uploaded the wrong diagram. This is only mobile and the product are relevant for each.

Now I have:

VISIT [

HIT Container [

HIT Container [

Page equals Android Page Name

OR

Product equals iOS Page Name

]

AND

HIT Container [

Product equals Product 1

OR

Product equals Product 2

]

]

]

But if I understand, given I only want the page/product combination and no other pages, then by your example VISIT should be HIT and drop the extra HIT Container?

HIT [

HIT Container [

Page equals Android Page Name

OR

Product equals iOS Page Name

]

AND

HIT Container [

Product equals Product 1

OR

Product equals Product 2

]

]

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Thanks for the update... in this scenario:

VISIT [

HIT Container [

HIT Container [

Page equals Android Page Name

OR

Product equals iOS Page Name

]

AND

HIT Container [

Product equals Product 1

OR

Product equals Product 2

]

]

]

This would return all hits in your visit that had hits with the following combination:

• Android Page Name AND Product 1
  • Android Page Name AND Product 2
  • iOS Page Name AND Product 1
  • iOS Page Name AND Product 2

Technically 2 of those combinations would never exist (since I assume that Product 1 only belongs to Android and Product 2 only belongs to iOS (but technically in theory that is what could happen)

And because the scope is Visit, if the user did this:

• Home Page
  • Category 1
  • Search
  • Category 2
  • Product Page for Product 1**
  • Product Page for Product 3

ALL those pages would be returned because you have the hit that matches Product Page and Product 1.

In my example, only the matching Hit "Product Page and Product 1" would be returned, which I think is closer to what you are looking for?

I am working on a series of Articles for the Experiences by You section about Segment building (the first one release was one of the more advanced ones looking at exclusion logic https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/experiences-by-you/experiences-by-you/analytics/analysis-..., but it still has some information that might help you while I work on the remainder of the series, the next article should be out soonish), and I will be doing a session in the upcoming Skill Exchange in Aug that will talk about Segment and Container Scope...  Hopefully these can help you out.