Expand my Community achievements bar.

Custom Rolling Date Ranges relative to Panel Dates limitation

Level 2

I've discovered a weakness in Rolling Date ranges when they are supposed to be relative to a rolling Panel Date Period.

If you have a Fixed Start Date but Rolling end date for the Panel, or if a project is deisgned to allow users to change the panel date range, you cannot create a Rolling Date range that will stay relative to that, because it only considers the Start Date and not the End Date.

For example, I wanted to make a Year-on-year comparison period that was relative to the panel date, so users can easily see the metrics for the same period in the previous year. 

The Start date for the period is easy - simply Current Day (based on panel date) - 365, however you cannot set the correct end date as you cannot predict the length of the Panel Date Range they are going to use (or if the panel date range has a fixed start but rolling end, so it is continually growing).

The logical way to do this would be to include relativity to the Panel End Date as well as the Panel Start Date. eg.

Start Date = Current (Panel Start) Date - 365

End Date = Current (Panel End) Date - 365

Any anybody found a way around this other than having to create custom date ranges for each project?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Reply

Employee

Hi @darrin_lim , as far as I've understood you need a sort of "Same period, last year", but relative to the whole time period specified in the panel.

Example:

at panel level, the time range is "Feb 7th, 2024 - Feb 13th, 2024", your custom date range should report "Feb 7th, 2023 - Feb 13th, 2023".

If the panel time range change to "Feb 1st, 2024 - Feb 15th, 2024", the custom date range should update to "Feb 1st, 2023 - Feb 15st, 2023".

If I'm right, this is not possible at the moment, but I strongly suggest to submit this as an Idea in Experience League so Product Management team can evaluate it.

Best!