Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

classifying eVars

Level 4

I have below values being captured in an eVar. How can I upload a classification to captured below values at a row level

'|CoverageAmount1=$25,000|MonthlyPremium1=2.75|InsuranceType1=health|UserType1=Member|CoverageAmount2=$25,000|MonthlyPremium2=3.00|InsuranceType2=additional health|UserType2=Spouse|CoverageAmount3=$5,000|MonthlyPremium3=0.78|InsuranceType3=life|UserType3=Child’

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

First you need to create classification for each of those names in the list, such as "CoverageAmount1", "MonthlyPremium1", and etc for the eVar. Then you can use Classification Rule Builder on that eVar that for each pair of name=value using Regular Expression

Match Criteria: name=([^|]+); where the "name" should be replaced by that as in eVar such as "CoverageAmount1"

Classification: name; this is the classification created on the eVar

Capture.PNG

However, please note that eVar can hold up to 255 characters and your example is 261 long already. Any characters over 255 will be truncated.

I started to use List variables to store information like this which can save effort on classification, more dynamic option of name-value pair, and also more room to store data. You may wish to look at https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/admin/admin-tools/conversion-variables/list-var-ad... for details.

The only downside for List variables is that there are only 3 and you need to use them wisely and in a bit generic approach.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

First you need to create classification for each of those names in the list, such as "CoverageAmount1", "MonthlyPremium1", and etc for the eVar. Then you can use Classification Rule Builder on that eVar that for each pair of name=value using Regular Expression

Match Criteria: name=([^|]+); where the "name" should be replaced by that as in eVar such as "CoverageAmount1"

Classification: name; this is the classification created on the eVar

Capture.PNG

However, please note that eVar can hold up to 255 characters and your example is 261 long already. Any characters over 255 will be truncated.

I started to use List variables to store information like this which can save effort on classification, more dynamic option of name-value pair, and also more room to store data. You may wish to look at https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/admin/admin-tools/conversion-variables/list-var-ad... for details.

The only downside for List variables is that there are only 3 and you need to use them wisely and in a bit generic approach.

Level 4

Thank you!! That is super helpful.

I have allocated a list eVar now , so it will be easier to classify.  Should I use something like below. But, I am not sure about the regular expression to use for  

'|CoverageAmount1=$25,000|MonthlyPremium1=2.75|InsuranceType1=health|UserType1=Member|CoverageAmount2=$25,000|MonthlyPremium2=3.00|InsuranceType2=additional health|UserType2=Spouse|CoverageAmount3=$5,000|MonthlyPremium3=0.78|InsuranceType3=life|UserType3=Child

Classification Rule Builder _ Adobe Analytics.png

Community Advisor

As mentioned and echoed by yuhuisg, your sample data is already over 255 byes and will not be completely recorded into Adobe Analytics and truncated to the first 255 bytes.

Further looking at your sample data, a lot of them are actually currency values, such as CoverageAmount1 and MonthlyPremium1, and you can store them into currency (or numeric) events. The good thing is you can then do calculation on those numeric values, rather than stored into eVar and classification, where numbers are stored and classified as text.

To classify other text-based information, like "InsuranceType1", the matching condition should be

InsuranceType1=([^|]+)

Level 4

Thank you! Super helpful and I will go the route which you suggested. But, for the currency events how can i add the coverage amount values in the above array?

So, my goal is to add below

coverage amount = coverageAmount1+coverageAmount 2

I have below data coming in the Analysis workspace.

asheth2295_0-1664764898498.png

Community Advisor

Yes, that is a good thing to track with events. You will have two numeric events for coverageAmount1 and coverageAmount2, create calculated metrics and simply add them up. 

Community Advisor

Off-topic: are you really able to track a value like in your example successfully? I'm asking because "|CoverageAmount1=$25,000|MonthlyPremium1=2.75|InsuranceType1=health|UserType1=Member|CoverageAmount2=$25,000|MonthlyPremium2=3.00|InsuranceType2=additional health|UserType2=Spouse|CoverageAmount3=$5,000|MonthlyPremium3=0.78|InsuranceType3=life|UserType3=Child" is 258 characters in length, yet an eVar can track a value of up to 255 bytes only.