Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Cannot see Average session length on Adobe Analytics Workspace

Level 2

1. Why I cannot see "Average session length" from Adobe Analytics Workspace?

2. "Average session length"  will exclude the session duration on Background and continue the count until users return to the app?

3. Can I get the hit data which is triggered when users move to background, for both workspace and data warehouse raw data?

4. Similar to average time on site, it will not count the last hit because there is no end time until session timeout. This become meaningless. Is it correct?

Thank you for your great help.   

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi

If mobile app reporting is enabled in your suite, you should be able to see this...

I'm not sure why I have 2??  But it's there for me

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1676992807886.png

2. "Average session length"  will exclude the session duration on Background and continue the count until users return to the app?

I believe so... but you also need to make sure that you are pausing and restarting Lifecycle metrics in the App SDK (the older SDKs did this automatically, the newest version gives your developers the control...  ). However, it would be a good thing to test and make sure you are getting the results you expect... since a lot of this documentation has been around for a while...

3. Can I get the hit data which is triggered when users move to background, for both workspace and data warehouse raw data?

That would be up to your developers and your needs... like the above "pause" and "restart" lifecycle metrics.. those are triggered by mobile app events such as onPause() and onResume().. if you want to send a tracking call (likely a trackAction) then you will need to tell your developers to trigger such a call on those events.

4. Similar to average time on site, it will not count the last hit because there is no end time until session timeout. This become meaningless. Is it correct?

Likely... I don't use Adobe for tracking time (aside from generic trending.. is it longer or shorter over time). SDKs may be slightly better due to the Pause lifecycle, but I've never actually checked it....

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi

If mobile app reporting is enabled in your suite, you should be able to see this...

I'm not sure why I have 2??  But it's there for me

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1676992807886.png

I believe so... but you also need to make sure that you are pausing and restarting Lifecycle metrics in the App SDK (the older SDKs did this automatically, the newest version gives your developers the control...  ). However, it would be a good thing to test and make sure you are getting the results you expect... since a lot of this documentation has been around for a while...

That would be up to your developers and your needs... like the above "pause" and "restart" lifecycle metrics.. those are triggered by mobile app events such as onPause() and onResume().. if you want to send a tracking call (likely a trackAction) then you will need to tell your developers to trigger such a call on those events.

Likely... I don't use Adobe for tracking time (aside from generic trending.. is it longer or shorter over time). SDKs may be slightly better due to the Pause lifecycle, but I've never actually checked it....

Level 2

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for your suggestion.

For #question1, we don't have an option to enable mobile app reporting. 

Joson_0-1677054877460.png

For #question2, how Lifecycle metrics can be enabled?

Would you have ideas to be shared?

Thank you again.

Joson

For 

Community Advisor

Hmm for #1.. maybe you need to reach out to Client Care or your CSM to see why that setting isn't available for you??? Perhaps this is a limitation of your contract?

As for #2, Lifecycle metrics are part of the coding in your Mobile Apps. It's part of the Mobile Core extension.

https://aep-sdks.gitbook.io/docs/foundation-extensions/mobile-core/lifecycle/lifecycle-api-reference

Your developers will have to start and pause this in order for you to collect lifecycle data (of course, this relies on getting Mobile App tracking turned on in your suites as per above)

Level 2

Thanks again.

#1 I need to find a way getting back the metric "average session length"

#2 Yes. you are right. It has been enabled via SDK. However, the metrics is not found on Worksapce.

#3 To capture the event i.e., background and foreground, I guess I need to send start and pause event. However, developer told me that context data cannot be attached with pause event (background). 

Joson_0-1677151940315.png

Thank you for your idea.

Community Advisor

OK... both "Average Session Length" and Lifecycle metrics are Mobile App specific... once you can get that enabled on your suite, all the missing stuff should appear.

As for #3, it's not so much attaching tracking to the pause... but IF you want to track that the user is sending the app to the background, I am suggesting that the "onPause()" function be used to first send a trackAction (with the data you want to track), then pause lifecycle...

Then if you want to specifically track bringing the app back to the foreground, using the "onResume()" function to first re-enable lifecycle, then send a trackAction (also with the data you want to track).

Your developer is right.. the pause lifecycle isn't actually a tracking call... but you can use the same trigger to have a custom action....

And for "start" lifecycle, you may want to distinguish app open from scratch "starts" from bring back from the background "starts"....

This is where you can work with your developers to create tagging that works for you

Community Advisor

Oh and yes, you can attach context data to Lifecycle.... but remember... IF the app was in the background for a very short time, there may be no tracking call associated to it... I believe there is only tracking when the app has been in the background long enough to trigger a new session.