Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Calculating content age?

Level 1

Apologies if this has been addressed -- having trouble with the forum search.

I'm trying to calculate average page views per day for a group of pages that were published at different times. In order to do that, I need to calculate the number of days a page has been active (i.e. the number of days since the first page view).. Does anyone know how to find that number (or another way to calculate the age of a page)?

The formula would look something like

[total pageviews] / [last day of report period - day of first pageview]

But I'm not sure how to get that last number.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Since every page has a different publish date, there's really not a viable way to calculate this in Adobe Analytics without the aid of external tools.

A ridiculous hack I can think of is to manually increment an event by 1 every day using data insertion API for every page/article you want to track. Firing an event for every page every day would in essence give you the numbers of days that article has existed for the date range, which could then be used in a calculated metric.

Alternatively if you bring Analytics data into your own database, you can pass the publish date into a custom variable, and include the difference of days in your query there. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Since every page has a different publish date, there's really not a viable way to calculate this in Adobe Analytics without the aid of external tools.

A ridiculous hack I can think of is to manually increment an event by 1 every day using data insertion API for every page/article you want to track. Firing an event for every page every day would in essence give you the numbers of days that article has existed for the date range, which could then be used in a calculated metric.

Alternatively if you bring Analytics data into your own database, you can pass the publish date into a custom variable, and include the difference of days in your query there. 

Level 8

The only way you can find out when a page had page views(I would not use the term went live as this is something you would have knowledge of. In case you do not know this please reach out internally within your organization to get this info) would be through the page views report. Also are you trying to calculate the average page views daily/weekly? Your formula would change accordingly. Also what are you trying to derive out of this(if you don't mind letting us know)?

Thanks

Nikhil