Expand my Community achievements bar.

Webinar: Adobe Customer Journey Analytics Product Innovations: A Quarterly Overview. Come learn for the Adobe Analytics Product team who will be covering AJO reporting, Graph-based Stitching, guided analysis for CJA, and more!

Average Time Spent on Page Granular

Level 1

Hi everyone, I am trying to show the average time spent on a page within a certain section in a histogram, i.e. how many visits with 1-5 sec. time on that sections, how many visits with 6-10 time, and so forth. 

I used the metric 'Average time on Site' and filtered on the section (evar - certain pages are included) and got 71 seconds. I also found the dimensions 'Time Spent on Page - Bucketed' and 'Time Spent on Page - Granular'. I used the Granular one, page views as a metric and the same filters and downloaded all rows to an excel and calculated the sumproduct and divided by the sum of page views to verify the average seconds spent. The result is 11 seconds. This does not fit to the 71 seconds when using the 'Average time on Site'. How do they differ?

Thank you!

1 Reply

Level 2

I believe these two metrics (average time on site and time spent on page) are not measuring exactly the same thing, and some of the logic behind how Adobe Analytics calculates time metrics is likely causing the discrepancy. 

Average time on site:

From what I understand, the 'average time on site'  focuses on the average time spent per session across multiple pages and excludes the last hit, which can create a higher average time if there are bounces.

The metric looks at sequences of hits (eg. user interactions) and calculates the time difference between consecutive hits within the same visit.

If there is no subsequent hit after the dimension item (e.g., the user leaves the site or session ends), the time spent on that last page is excluded from the metric.

The metric can be tied to specific dimensions, such as pages or sections, and calculates the time spent between hits that contain that dimension.

'Average time on site' is good when you want to see average time spent for specific dimension items.

Time spent on page

'Time spent on page' dimension seems to only measure the time spent for each individual hit, also excluding the last hit. As a result, it captures all page views, including those with very short durations. This would be leading to a potentially lower average when aggregated across many visits.

Time spent on page' is valuable when you want to understand how long visitors interact with a given metric on your site.

I think in relation to the 11 Seconds from time spent on page. Then it may include many short durations from visitors who quickly navigate away from pages.

I hope this helps you! 

Check these out: 

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/analytics/components/metrics/average-time-on-site

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/analytics/components/dimensions/time-spent-on-page