Expand my Community achievements bar.

Adobe Websdk automation testing

Level 1

Is there a way to perform automated Regression testing for web sdk implementation, we also use adobe experience Platform debugger for manual validation of eVar for the website.

So now we are looking a way to automation the eVar validaitons for the website.

Please suggest any available options.

8 Replies

Level 10

Hi @avrkumar27 

there is no official test tool from Adobe side. I once wrote a custom testing implementation using Microsoft Playwright; automating whole sessions and tapping into the POST request payloads. Not the easiest to be honest, and also not able to capture requests payload on page navigation when the request is sent as beacon (that is unfortunately impossible with any tool).

The whole setup I ran via GitHub actions cron tab.

alternatively, Cypress might also be used.

else, not sure whether paid solutions like ObservePoint could work for you.

thinking about it, maybe it would be worth sharing my approach as community blog post. But it will for need some brushing and cleaning up.
So don't expect it to come within the next couple of days

Level 1

Thank you very much for the response and suggestion.

Level 1

My group uses ObservePoint for automated testing.  The tool also performs site audits, privacy audits and link checks for any possible broken links on our corporate site.

It is pretty easy to use.  Basically, you capture the most imporant eVars and events from the steps of your use cases/user journeys, add them to a template the OP supplies and submit them to OP.  Their team takes care of the automation and setting up the use cases in their interface.  With a click of a button, you can run all your use cases at one time.  You can setup the use cases in your development, certification and production environments to test each while development is going on and when you release to production.

Level 1

Does observe point goes to AEP Debugger extension to validate the eVar?

can you please share more insights on this.

Level 10

Hi @avrkumar27 

there is no easy way to tap into the mapping on Analytics side. You can analyze the payload of the request as far as I remember.

So, if you are certain that whatever mapping applied on the Edge network side is working, this would at least be a high-level testing approach.

Level 1

Yes, ObservePoint has an extension debugger just like Adobe, DataSlayer, etc.  You can find it in your browser web store.

Level 10

Hi @brianburk0926 

I think the question was more pointing at the capabilities of the debugger e.g., what information on what's happening on the Edge network side is available.

Level 10

Hi @avrkumar27 

for what it's worth, I created a Git repo that includes a generic JSON-based testing approach with Microsoft Playwright.

https://github.com/bjoernkoth/generic-plawright-website-testing

You should not need a single line of code for this. A sample Edge Network request can look like this.

Basically, you can copy+pase the payload data from the network request's "payload" tab if it is a POST request.

For GET requests, you will need to transform the expected payload into a JSON object.

bjoern__koth_0-1722971682052.png

{
  "url": "/ee",
  "payload": {
    "events": [
      {
        "xdm": {
          "web": {
            "webPageDetails": {
              "name": "my page name",
              "pageViews": {
                "value": 1
              }
            }
          },
          "eventType": "web.webpagedetails.pageViews"
        }
      }
    ]
  }
}

Obviously, you can extend the "xdm" with whatever payload you wish to check, and depending on the schema you have set up in the datastream e.g., you may have _experience.analytics.customDimensions.eVars.eVar99 if you are using the "Adobe Analytics ExperienceEvent Template" field group.

Just a super early version. Would be great to get some feedback on this.

It can be run locally or if you have a github license, also triggered through github actions.