Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Workfront Research Survey: Parent/Child Projects

Employee

Hi Everyone!

I posted this on the Innovation Lab thread, but also wanted to drop the Parent/Child Projects survey here. If you've ever thought additional levels of projects would be useful, please take this survey. It is fairly long (10-15 min), but we wanted to be thorough so we know exactly what features you all need and how prevalent this "pain" is.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about the survey!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Officially closing this thread. Thank you to everyone who took the survey!

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Employee

We're getting lots of responses. Keep them coming, please! 🙂

Level 2

Is there an expected release date for Parent/Child projects?

Employee

Hi Helen! I know that they have been working on designs (discovery/usability testing), but I'm unsure of the expected release date. I know how important this feature is for so many of our customers, so I'm sorry if my answer is unsatisfactory.

I will say that this feature (parent-child projects) has gained a lot of momentum lately and seems to be moving up the priority list of features we need to add for our customers as soon as possible.

Level 1

I really hope this becomes a feature and is implemented soon because as a program manager at an engineering company, we often have to create secondary projects per requests for PCNs (project change notice). Since there is no way to connect the two projects, we have to comment in the second project that it's part of a bigger project, which you can see leaves room for error and confusion.

Level 3

Yes, we're in the same boat and end up with disparate info on issues being tracked in duplicate, etc. Very excited for this feature!

Correct answer by
Employee

Officially closing this thread. Thank you to everyone who took the survey!

Level 10

Thanks Elissa,

We have a Parent Project solution that allows automatic unique sequential numbering of projects in a hierarchical manner, in that a new Project can be “deemed” a child of an existing project. The resulting pattern of Project Numbers looks like this (and can be tailored to suit):

Project 12753

Project 12753-001

Project 12753-002

Project 12753-002-001

Project 12753-002-002

Project 12753-003

etc.

By storing the relationship in this fashion, users can then create native Workfront reports to sort and aggregate these Parent Child Projects as required.

For a slightly different usecase, we also have a Multi-Copy Project solution, whereby a user can navigate to an initial Parent Project (eg with the right structure, custom data, docs, etc), enter the number of copies they’d like, then click the Copy button to generate them, each with a unique sequential suffix (eg -001, -002, etc) similar to the above.

If you are interested in either of these particular approaches, I invite you to email me at doug.denhoed@atappstore.com

Regards,

Doug