Your achievements

Level 1

0% to

Level 2

Tip /
Sign in

Sign in to Community

to gain points, level up, and earn exciting badges like the new
Bedrock Mission!

Learn more

View all

Sign in to view all badges

Why is Workfront Kick-Starts only importing some of my data?

Avatar

Level 2

I've got a sheet with 1840 data rows that I'm attempting to import data from using Kick-starts. I went through several kick-start attempts which it informed me of mistakes with some of the data. I made corrections where necessary and the final attempt seemed to import all data.

However, when I viewed the project where all the data was imported to, only 1544 lines existed. When I compared the lines that imported with those that didn't, I couldn't find any barriers to. Subsequent attempts to reimport the data resulted in the same lines being excluded on each attempt. As far as I can see, the exclusions appear to be entirely random, happen at various points throughout the sheet, and do not seem to be based on inconsistencies or incorrect data input.

Any ideas what might be happening here?

Thanks!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Avatar

Level 4

I have found that submitting a support ticket directly to Workfront and attaching the spreadsheet is very helpful. Their job is to help troubleshoot these issues.

Prior to doing so, make sure you look at your project and ensure that there are no filters that would be excluding some of the imported data.

Avatar

Level 2

I tried that and the answer I got was "the only supported way to get that data in is by using the templates that we provide". The sheet I'm using is a modified version of a template I'd exported last year to include Custom Form data, which does not seem to export when creating a kick-start export template.

That's why I went here. I'll just try again and hope I get a different answer.

Avatar

Level 4

I've done a few kickstarts during my time in Workfront. Are you importing tasks to a Project? Is the custom data going onto a Project form or a Task form? Do you have the right Category ID? And you are using DE:Custom Form Field Name on a separate column for those custom fields?

I would also like to add that when I reached out to Support for a large data import, they helped me troubleshoot on my spreadsheet. It is interesting that you got such a generic answer.

Avatar

Level 2

The tasks are going into a new project.

Each line is its own task within the project, and has its own task-level custom form.

The category ID is definitely correct.

Each custom form field has its own separate column.

As it turns out, the most likely culprit was a hidden column (that I was unaware of the presence of). When on the phone with a different support person, I removed that column and sorted by the setName column, and the subsequent import worked.

Neither I nor the support person could see a reason why the extra column would prevent import of a random subset of rows, but I sincerely doubt alphabetizing the setName column would do it.

Regardless, it seems the problem is solved.