Expand my Community achievements bar.

View Setting

Level 2
Under a task, how do I can change the view setting from Standard to a custom one I created and force that view to appear on every planner account when they open a task. I see the custom view in the drop down list but I want to force it to populate for everyone instead of them seeing Standard. Sarah
8 Replies

Level 10
hi Sarah, there's not a way to force a view on someone, especially not as a default. If you have system admin access, you can log in as that user, and change the view for them, but that's about it. And I don't know whether that view stays or whether it reverts back to standard when they reset the user (haven't bothered testing it yet). -skye

Level 10
Are you talking about providing a custom view of a list of tasks? If so, another option is to create a report, put it on a dashboard, then put that as a custom tab for all the Plan users via their Layout Template. Then just tell them to go to that tab on a project and they will always see it using the view/grouping/filters that you specify on the report. David Cornwell

Community Advisor
You can also change their view via their layout template so you can change everyone's view at once rather than logging in as each person. But they can still change their view.

Level 10
Heather: I found that didn't work. On a layout template I actually removed the "standard" option in a View dropdown, however, anyone who was using the view when I applied the layout template to their account, still stayed on the view, unless I logged in as them and moved them to the new view. -skye

Level 10
Skye: I agree with your synopsis of the drawback; but I was also fairly certain if the user moves-off that view even once, and since it no longer exists, they will be stuck with the Layout Template's defaults after that? Maybe that works out fine for us because our project managers have multiple views they use in the course of doing their work, so eventually they end-up off the "wrong" view eventually? Kevin Quosig

Level 10
thanks Kevin, and yes -- moving off the view will cause it to disappear so it's helpful to have workflows that involve switching back and forth between views. I only really have two concerns. 1) this won't permanently happen. If I do a /resetUser will it put the user back onto Standard view even though Standard no longer exists? (I think this normally happens but can't be bothered to check) 2) we have plenty of users and workflows that don't require movement off "standard". For example, I specifically wanted to remove the Standard view from template task lists. (We received a comment from our users that it was too difficult to tell the difference between a template task list and a project task list, so we created a color view for the templates.) It only works if people stay off their Standard view (which I've removed in the layout template), but everyone who gets added to the layout template is of course still ON standard view and it's just one more thing we have to train, you know? -skye

Level 10
Hi Kevin, Skye's use of the term "switching" reminded me of this oldie-but-goodie blog post about "https://store.atappstore.com/switchback-workflow/" Switchback Workflow , which also illustrates the concept David was describing, should you prefer that approach. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore