Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Vacation Coverage - How?

Level 2
Hello, Wondering what folks do to handle vacation coverage for the person managing/administering Workfront for their company? I'm the lone PM/Traffic Manager at my company, and it's always difficult to deal with how/who will cover me whenever I take time off for vacation. All project requests come to me in my cue, and once received I convert all requests into projects with myself as the project owner, and manage them thru the lifecycle. There doesn't seem to be a perfect way to have someone else receive project requests while I'm out. Unless I'm missing something. There are a couple of others that have admin access on my team, but they don't use that level of access in their day-to-day use of WF. Though if there is a relatively pain free way for them to handle coverage, I can train them to do so. Does anyone have any solutions that may help with a successful transition while I'm out of the office? Thanks in advance. Thomas White
7 Replies

Level 3
Thomas, Since you are both the intake person and the Project Manager, that makes it difficult to transfer to anyone else, unless someone else has Project Management skills. I'm sure you could reroute your queue to someone else in your absence, but you would still have to train them on how to convert the request to a project. And then would that person be able to be the Project Manager for all requests while you were out (likely depends on volume of requests)? I'm sure there are other community members with ideas, but you definitely need a backup, otherwise you wont be able to take time off - could new project requests be "on hold" during your absence? Debbie Scalf BCBST

Level 3
You may be able to use some of the tips and tricks from this weeks Did You Know.... Patricia Greene JLL

Level 2
Hi there, This is actually a big issue for us too. You can delegate approvals to someone else but as far as I know, that's it. All work/tasks, requests/issues, etc. need to be manually re-assigned for it to go to someone else. It's very hard to manage longer vacations and long PTOs (maternity, for example) without spending a ton of time re-assigning items. We leverage reports for this purpose so we can do some bulk editing and sharing but wish we had an option similar to approvals where we could delegate tasks and requests across. Kieran McKinney GoDaddy

Level 8
Curious to hear what others might be doing, too! We just create a report and bulk reassign existing projects/tasks/issues/etc. Where is gets tricky for me is when we need to update a routing rule so a request goes to the correct person during a vacation. And then it's easy to forget to switch everything back once that person returns. It would be super convenient if there was a "delegate everything that is currently mine or could potentially become mine to [insert person]". Kirsten Heikkinen

Community Advisor
We have a dashboard for our project managers that contains reports for all their regular work, those reports pull in anything assigned to or owned by the logged in user and they use their dashboard a lot. Then we also have a "Covering" dashboard - this dashboard contains all the same reports except rather than using the assigned to or owned by user filter, those reports have a prompt so they can enter the user that they are covering for.

Level 2
Thanks everyone. Yes, it's a bit problematic to handle time off from the office for myself. One way I've dealt with it is to send out a notice to get our partners to turn in job requests prior to my time off, which usually alleviates most of the new requests, but something always pops up while I'm out. I did see the thread about delegating approvals, and that's what actually got me thinking about this again, as I have planned time off at end of month. But delegated approvals isn't really the issue. Heather, your solution is interesting though, so I'll take a look into that and possibly implement something similar. Thomas White

Community Advisor
I agree, Kirsten! In the Idea Exchange, Delegate Assignments similar to Delegate Approvals shows it's Under Consideration. Sheri Whitten