Expand my Community achievements bar.

Transfer Hours from one task/project to another?

Level 4
Does anyone have a good workaround for transfering hours between projects? We could do this with ease in our old system and we are too large to manage this on a timesheet by timesheet basis. Eager for ideas! Erica Baitler
12 Replies

Level 4
You cannot move hours on their own. You'd have to move the attached object. If they are logged to the project there won't be anything you can do. What's the use case here? Maybe there is another solution? Daniel Daniel Cooley Rego Consulting daniel.cooley@regoconsulting.com

Level 2
Also interested in this! We sometimes need to move hours as team members incorrectly log hours to a task that also has correct hours logged to it. It makes it challenging as we can't move the whole task. Ideally, we'd love a way to move hours in bulk between objects (allowing us to bulk split out incorrect hours) at which point we can move them between jobs on separate tasks. I understand the implications for timesheets & billing records, however, I feel like this could be an admin-only feature that only works if the timesheet isn't approved and the hours aren't on billing records. Stratton Powell-Hughes

Level 6
We are currently working on a small web-app using the API to solve this for us. What we will actually be doing is delete and create to simulate the moving. Chris Budgen Emakina CEE

Level 2
Hi Stratton, With Admin access, a timesheet can be recalled and hours can be rejected, even if they are 'billed'. From there, time can be deleted and re-entered to the correct Task or Project. I know this isn't efficient as we have had some instances of moving time between projects as well. Ideally, it would be nice to just reject the hours and move them to the correct Task or Project. I look forward to seeing some improvements in this area. Annikki Annikki Desmarais Cantactix Solutions Inc.

Level 2
That is a good idea, could be a good workaround until Workfront make changes in this area. Stratton Powell-Hughes

Level 2
Thanks for the idea Annikki. Cheers, Stratton Stratton Powell-Hughes

Level 4
I have a call with Workfront tomorrow to talk about the options. In our previous system, finance could make a negative hour entry (which workfront doesn't recognize) on one project and a positive hour entry on another project to move the revenue from one project to another and maintain the audit trail (ex use case, when a client directs us to cover overages on one project with savings on another). When time is incorrectly billed we can fix that at the timesheet level. In the system I used before that, admin could literally select the hours you wish to transfer and assign them to a different task/project. I'm actually shocked that this isn't an option in Workfront. Like another user who commented here, in most cases we're not looking to move the whole task because there may be some hours on the task that need to be preserved. Thanks all for sharing your thoughts - I was hoping I was missing something easy :/ Erica Baitler

Level 2
I agree this is a painful shortcoming of Workfront. It happens fairly regularly for us due to the complexity of our billing and the volume of very similar projects, it can be hard for our team members to always know the exact project to bill on. Ideally, you just select the hours and go "move to" and pick another task.. I personally think restricting this function to admin only would be wise as well. Stratton Powell-Hughes

Level 4
I have an update! I figured out that i could create two job roles for Finance. 1 is positive $100 billing rate and one is ($100) billing rate. By using these two rates, they are able to move revenue from one task/project to another in timesheet entries and it's easily reported on. While we cannot do the negative hour entry, the negative billing rate accomplishes the same thing. Still wish there was an option for more easily transfering hours entries for mis-billing but this is progress! Erica Baitler

Level 6
We just create a task on a project with a fixed hourly rate set to the amount we want and then use a Dummy Resource User to timesheet one hour on that task Chris Budgen Emakina Group

Level 2

Has anyone found any other solutions for this yet?

Level 1

Curious if anyone ever came up with a solution for this since the last time this thread was updated? Thanks all!