Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Total Remaining Planned Hours at a project level summary

Level 4

We have some team members who would like a project level report that shows the total remaining planned hours (so, tasks that are active).

I was trying to build a task level report that would roll up to one task some how, but this doesn't even work because you may have multiple highest level parent tasks.

Anything someone has worked on?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

8 Replies

Level 10

Hi Timothy,

This might be too simplistic, but perhaps you could create a calculated parameter at the Project level that deducts actual hours from planned hours.

Regards,

Doug

Hey Doug!

Thanks for the comment. Overall, we are not using actual hours here. We just want the planned hours removed if the task was marked complete. So a "Total Project Hours - Hours on a task that is complete", but on a project level.

Level 7

Hey Timothy,

I found a field on the project level called 'Completed Hours' but I can't figure out what exactly it pulls. Maybe @Kyna Baker - inactive‚ could help figure that out? I created a project report and added this field, but when I looked at a project, added a column to sum planned hours and grouped by task status, the completed task hours did not add up to the 'Completed Hours'. I do have a number of tasks that are in progress, so I'm wondering if there is a calculation used for some percentage of the in progress planned hours to add into the Completed hours.

If that field will work for you, you could create a calculated column in your report to subtract completed hours from planned hours.

Hope this helps!

Level 4

Ah, any help from @Kyna Baker - inactive‚ would be great. That would be an easy calculation if it works.

Thanks!

Tim

Employee

Hi Sarah and Timothy,

Interesting question! So I just did some testing and here's what I'm seeing. I'm also asking for a more official answer as to what formally makes up a "completed" hour, but I thought I'd share what I learned in my testing.

I did a project report and added the "completed hours" field that you were referencing.

I added two projects to do some comparisons, one that was 100% done and one that had barely been started.

0694X00000CIgkiQAD.pngOn the first line of the screenshot, the project that is complete has 9.5 planned hours associate to it, but in my project report it shows 10. I believe that this field auto rounds up, but I am confirming that! I'll let you know if I find out anything different.

On the second line, that project only has one task that is 75% complete, but that partially complete task has 2 planned hours on it. This is making me further certain that the completed hours field rounds up.

I then went in and changed the partially complete task to be only 25% complete and it changed the number of completed hours to 0 for the second line. Another test, by setting the task to be 50% complete, the completed hours in the report updated to 1 hour (of which, you'll remember there are 2 planned hours on the task, so 50% should equal 1 hour.)

So I'm fairly confident in saying that the completed hours round up based on the percentage of the tasks that are complete, but I'll let you know if I find out otherwise.

So, to take it to your original question, if you subtracted planned hours from completed hours you would get a number that is close, but not down to the half hour or hour based on how you mark tasks complete (if you do partial percentages or not).

I'll update with more details if I find out anything else.

Kyna

Level 7

One thought - you could go into the advanced setting for that field and change it to have the decimal places - that could get you closer!0694X00000CIhM3QAL.png

Level 4

Hi Sarah and Kyna - let me know if the below calculation would help us get what we need?

displayname=Remaining Hours

linkedname=direct

namekey=totalHours

textmode=true

valueexpression=SUB(work,completedHours)

valueformat=doubleAsInt

Level 1

Was wondering if this solved the problem? It does not for me. I've also added parens around the field to comply with valueexpression syntax, and while it shows the planned hours (in minutes) it does not subtract the completed hours