Expand my Community achievements bar.

Timesheet - question do users need to be assigned to task or project to log hours/time to the project

Level 3
Do users need to be assigned to task or to the project to log hours or time to the project or tasks?
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

9 Replies

Level 10
Hi - No. The project needs to be Shared with them, and they need to have Contribute permission to the project. That’s all they need to log time to any task on the project. When you assign Contribute, you can also select Advanced Settings and give them other permissions, but you need to be sure that when they get Contribute, they get the option to Log Hours. That’s all it takes. Eric [cid:image001.jpg@01D22891.E8ABAE20]

Level 3
Does it show up on the time-sheet OR they have to look for that project.

Level 10
Hi: Users to NOT need to be assigned to a task to charge time to it. They do need to have Contribute permission to the project. The project can be in any status except a closed / completed status. The project can be in an approval workflow, too. They can either charge time to a task through: 1) the timesheet, or; 2) charging time to the task directly [cid:image003.jpg@01D2C8A9.825459C0] 3) Charge time to the task from your MyWork screen [cid:image004.jpg@01D2C8A9.825459C0] Does that help? Eric

Level 3
Project A shared to Joe Joe opens the timesheet, he does not see this project. He has to look for this project and add it to his timesheet. To avoid this issue I have a task in Project A and assign it to Joe. Now when Joe opens his timesheet, he sees this task and project in his timesheet. I do not know any other way and I don’t want to create a task for one-off items.

Level 8
If you share a project with them and give them contribute access, then the answer to your question would be no. Note that when you give them contribute access, it does not automatically show up on their timesheet because they are not assigned to anything. They would have to manually find the task that they want to log time to on the project and log time from that page instead of the timesheet page. A lot of users do not realize they can log time without being assigned, so we try to avoid that by making sure our PMs are assigning tasks to anyone who needs them so that the tasks show up in one spot on their timesheet page.

Level 10
Hi: The reason Joe sees the task in his timesheet when you add his name to the task is because you likely are automatically giving him Contribute permission to the task when you assign him to the task. What problem are you trying to solve? Are you trying to get all tasks for a person to appear in their timesheet? Thanks, Eric

Level 3
I have few support tasks (over 15) that folks use. These are not active tasks. But they would like to see these tasks in their timesheet at all times so that they do not have to hunt for it. Unfortunately, such task assignments creates unnecessary noise in the system.

Level 10
Hi: Another approach might be to have them charge time to them one time to get them in the timesheet. Then, on the left margin next to the task, when they point at the blank space, a push-pin will appear and they can pin the task to their timesheet. The task will never disappear from their timesheet, until they remove the push pin. [cid:image001.jpg@01D2C8C3.145D9160] Thanks, Eric

Level 9
We are just starting to turn on timesheets, so this question was pertinent for us. Two things: 1. In setup, timesheet preferences, you can auto-populate timesheets with a variety of things. Do this so users won't have to add manually. 2. For those inactive tasks they just want as a reference, suggest they add them once, manually. I THINK they will remain until removed. Hope this helps!