Expand my Community achievements bar.

Come join us for our Coffee Break this WEDNESDAY on top takeaways from Adobe Summit!
SOLVED

Successor task Start On date based on actual completion date of the predecessor?

Level 3

We have a project where a form is sent out with the hope it will be returned quickly. If not, reminders are sent at 2 months, 4 months, and 6 months after. Once the form is returned, there are processing tasks that need to be completed.

We want the processing tasks to start when any of the follow-ups are actually completed. We’ve tried different combinations of task constrains and predecessors but the Start On is calculated from the planned completion dates of the tasks.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Kathy,

Your requirements remind me of our As Soon As Impossible blog post, which focuses on "accelerating" a Project plan by setting dependent Task Planned Start Dates to match their Handoff Dates, which get filled in once their Predecessors Actual Completion Date(s) appear (the Handoff Date matching that same Actual Completion Date, "handing off" the momentum of the Project completion to that dependent Task.

In your case, the norm is that the Predecessors (i.e. the Tasks that track the Custom Forms coming back) are late, so you'd then be moving the dependent Task's Planned Completion Date "out", but the concept is the same. You could do so manually, by reporting on those (such) dependent Tasks whose Handoff Date is Not Blank and does not match its Planned Start Date and then copy/pasting the Handoff Date into the Planned Start Date; or if there's enough data that it's warranted, automate that update using (for example) our UberCalc solution.

Regards,

Doug

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Kathy,

Your requirements remind me of our As Soon As Impossible blog post, which focuses on "accelerating" a Project plan by setting dependent Task Planned Start Dates to match their Handoff Dates, which get filled in once their Predecessors Actual Completion Date(s) appear (the Handoff Date matching that same Actual Completion Date, "handing off" the momentum of the Project completion to that dependent Task.

In your case, the norm is that the Predecessors (i.e. the Tasks that track the Custom Forms coming back) are late, so you'd then be moving the dependent Task's Planned Completion Date "out", but the concept is the same. You could do so manually, by reporting on those (such) dependent Tasks whose Handoff Date is Not Blank and does not match its Planned Start Date and then copy/pasting the Handoff Date into the Planned Start Date; or if there's enough data that it's warranted, automate that update using (for example) our UberCalc solution.

Regards,

Doug

I like your idea of the report. Thanks Doug for the explanation. I appreciate the help!