Expand my Community achievements bar.

Solution for 0 Day Duration + Planned Cost?

Level 1

We have recently started using the planned cost function in Workfront. Previously we managed our costs by managing labor hours (planned hours) but with the increase in leveraging software or off/nearshoring we had to get more mature in using planned cost.

We set some tasks at a 0-day duration with an "ASAP" constraint to make sure they are done on the same day as their predecessor but are also connected and moving with the predecessor during project adjustments, but that 0day duration zeroes out planned costs. 

I GET that a task cannot actually have a 0-day duration, but is there an alternate solution to have a task after a predecessor due on the same day AND will move out if you move the preceding task? My best idea so far is to use a duration in the increment of hours so that I can keep "ASAP as the task constraint and have it trigger immediately. 

3 Replies

Community Advisor

The duration of the task shouldn't impact your planned labor cost. Do you have hours in the task for the assignments?

The Task Planned Labor Cost is calculated based on the following:

• The number of resources on the task and their individual allocation to the task
  • The Cost Type of task.

Planned Labor Cost of a project:

Project Planned Labor Cost= SUM(Tasks Planned Labor Cost)

Planned Labor Cost of a task:

Task Planned Cost = Planned Hours x User or Job Role Cost Per Hour

Community Advisor

Just thinking out loud here. Would it work to change that predecessor to "task number minus 1" -- so if you are looking at tasks 6 and 7, make task 7's predecessor "6-1". This way you can leave your duration on task 7 as 1. But then it should finish the same time as task 6.

I don't know what it does for notifications though.