Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

SharePoint integration: Document retention

Level 5

I'm working with IT to integrate document syncing with SharePoint, OneDrive and Box. IT has a question: If a document originates in Workfront then is pushed/synced to SharePoint, does the document retention from the repository (Workfront) take over the SharePoint document retention? Our SharePoint document retention policy is 3 years.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

2 Replies

Level 1

Hi Elena,

The short answer is no. If you configure the SharePoint integration, the document retention is managed by SharePoint. So if you "delete" the document in Workfront, it will still be in SharePoint.

Level 10

If this was the case where I worked, I'd be responsible for the WF copy of the document, but whomever wanted it pushed to SharePoint (I assume this is for an integration?) would be responsible separately for that copy.

If this is NOT an integration and instead is some IT demand to store the doc in two places, then I might be responsible for managing both copies. Though I would push-back on IT to manage their copy.

Be that as it may, WF has no document retention tools. We have a similar policy where projects must be removed after a certain number of years and we'll need to have a procedure to do an annual audit and manually delete projects (which deletes the documents attached to it, as far as I know).

I was exposd to this can of worms a couple years ago when "Information Governance Liaison" got added to my many hats for our group. Real eye-opener how much Legal needs to track and do and how few tools (like WF and DAMs) even take long term data deprecation and deletion into account. Makes it all far too manual.

Maybe this is something Fusion could handle?