Expand my Community achievements bar.

Searching/Auditing file contents?

Community Advisor

Is anyone set up in Workfront to easily search file content? On my laptop I can perform an advanced search in File Explorer for specific file content and I would like to replicate this in Workfront.

For example, if our team has been using the term "better than sliced bread" in marketing materials stored in WF projects as files, and we're now required to change that to "better than sliced Wonder bread", I guess that starts with knowing where we've used that phrase, but can't imagine anything that doesn't start with us having noted that we used that somewhere (e.g. in a custom form).

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Reply

Community Advisor

Hi Skye,

I invite you to consider our Extract Document Text solution (and its backstory video), which we created several years ago and had retired, but have now reinstated so you and others can put it to good use.

As per the screenshot below, it allows you to schedule and automatically extract text from PDFs, docx, and doc files stored into custom parameters you can then search for a particular word or phrase.

0694X00000Asb5dQAB.png

There is a bit of setup involved, as per the video above, and it is currently configured to work with document(s) on a Task, then storing the file contents in special custom data on that Task, thereby providing two many to many levels (Project to Task, Task to Document) you can leverage.

Once Workfront offers Full Text Searching (which as I understand it is on the roadmap, but in line behind a few prerequisites), I expect we will once again retire this solution.

If you'd like more information, you're welcome to email me at doug.denhoed@atappstore.com

Regards,

Doug