Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Resource Planner: Confusion with Available Hours

Level 4
Hi everyone, Apologies for inundating the Community with all of my resourcing questions, really pushing hard to get this off the ground on our team! Am I crazy or did the Available Hours column in the Resource Planner used to refer to the number of hours that were available to be budgeted/scheduled after the planned hours had been subtracted out? You were then able re-prioritize the projects so that the highest priority projects had first dibs on the pool of available hours. I remember seeing this in the Ascent training videos... I guess I'm not understanding what the point of showing 40 available hours per user is? I'd much rather see: (40 hrs) - (all planned hours on various tasks) = Available Hours so that I know what's available to be budgeted to that resource/project, but maybe I'm not thinking about this correctly? Thank you! Christine Zhu Chobani
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

5 Replies

Community Advisor
Can you show screenshots? As far as I remember it starts by showing the total available hours and then when you look at each line item you should see the availability decrease until you get to a point where it zeros out. I don't think I have any sample screenshots but I can look at my session notes tomorrow if you can't find anything to show. -skye

Level 4

Yes @Skye Hansen that was what I remember, exactly! Please see screenshots attached. As you can see, none of the projects are actually showing the hours available after you take away what's been planned, and the total pool of hours isn't decreasing as you go down the priority list. Christine Zhu Chobani

0690z000007Zgr4AAC.png

Community Advisor
I could be wrong about this, as it's been a while -- but you might check and see if you have to actually budget the hours to have the totals go down. -skye

Level 10
Hi - there is one exception, when you are looking at Users. The available hours do not decrease based on budgeted. It depends what setting you have for resource management in your Setup. For us we use FTE and default calendar. So if someone is 1 FTE, they will always show 40 hours in Available unless there is a day in the default schedule we are closed (like Christmas). The other RM setting is looking at the user's person schedule. So then the hours will adjust based on the hours in their schedule and the time off they take (if you use WF's out-of-the-box time off feature). UPDATE: Forgot to mention, the reason is that in the User view, there is no "budgeting feature" like you do in by project or role. So I think that is why it behaves differently than the other two views. Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 4
Hey Anthony, thanks for the above. Based on what you've said, I wonder if there's something buggy going on because I'm showing the total number of available hours all the way down the project list in the planner when i'm viewing by Project and not by User. The hours do not reflect the Planned Hours OR the budgeted hours. Furthermore, our Resource Management setting is set to The User's Schedule and I don't believe we use FTE. Christine Zhu Chobani