Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Report cell size management in Workfront reports

Level 2

In the reports, sometimes the cell size becomes too large, making the report unreadable. Can we resize the cell size to auto fit to a required dimension and let the entire field load only if needed. Something like (..) in the end of fixed character limit?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

If you're trying to control the width of a cell on a report, in Text-Mode you can add the code:

usewidths=true

width=400

And then just adjust the number (in my example, 400) to be the width that you'd like to set for your column.

If you're trying to limit the amount of text returned in a cell, try something like this in Text Mode (which I got from one of @MoniqueEvans example reports):

valueexpression=IF(LEN({lastNote}.{noteText})>350,CONCAT(SUBSTR({lastNote}.{noteText},0,349),"...(open for more) --"),IF(LEN({lastNote}.{noteText})>0,CONCAT({lastNote}.{noteText})))

In the above example, if the length of the note is more than 350 characters, the formula will only display the first 350 characters followed by "...(open for more) --"

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 5

If you're trying to control the width of a cell on a report, in Text-Mode you can add the code:

usewidths=true

width=400

And then just adjust the number (in my example, 400) to be the width that you'd like to set for your column.

If you're trying to limit the amount of text returned in a cell, try something like this in Text Mode (which I got from one of @MoniqueEvans example reports):

valueexpression=IF(LEN({lastNote}.{noteText})>350,CONCAT(SUBSTR({lastNote}.{noteText},0,349),"...(open for more) --"),IF(LEN({lastNote}.{noteText})>0,CONCAT({lastNote}.{noteText})))

In the above example, if the length of the note is more than 350 characters, the formula will only display the first 350 characters followed by "...(open for more) --"

Level 2

Hi J_Mas,

I am sorry but the same code is not usable for Description field that I am pulling through from a custom form. Can you tell what get replaced in the above formula with the custom field name?

Thanks,

Nisha

Level 5

You should only need to replace {lastNote}.{noteText} with the name of your field, such as {project}.{description} or perhaps just {description} depending on the type of report you're building.

Also, If you copy/pasted the formula from my earlier post, you may need to delete the quotes from the formula and then manually type them. I've had some instances where copying quotation marks from one source and then pasting them in another can give you the wrong quotation marks.

Finally, if you haven't already done so, I'd suggest watching the Advanced Reporting video where Monique showed off this great formula. She gets to this particular formula around 18:18, but it's worth watching the whole video.

Level 2

Hi @J_Mas ,

I tried the same formula on one of my custom fields on a Request report where the formula looks something like below:

displayname=Description
linkedname=direct
namekey=Description - please provide detail on your request
textmode=true
valueexpression=IF(LEN({Description - please provide detail on your request})>350,CONCAT(SUBSTR({Description - please provide detail on your request},0,349),"...(open for more) --"),IF(LEN({Description - please provide detail on your request})>0,CONCAT({Description - please provide detail on your request})))
valuefield=Description - please provide detail on your request
valueformat=HTML

The custom field is "Description - please provide detail on your request"

Can you tell what looks incorrect in this particular formula?

Thanks,

Nisha

Level 5

@NishaPatel the code you posted works for me if I replace "Description - please provide detail on your request" with "description" (since that's the name of the default project description field that I use).

Can you add the original field "Description - please provide detail on your request" to your report, then switch to Text-Mode, and copy/paste the Text-Mode code into a reply here?

Level 2

Hi @J_Mas ,

Yes I tried doing that. Below is the code I see from original description field converted into text mode.

valuefield=Description - please provide detail on your request
valueformat=customDataRichTextAsString
displayname=
linkedname=direct
namekey=Description - please provide detail on your request
tile.name=component.customdata.richtextlistview
type=tile

This is not a project report, it is a request report instead.

Thanks,

Nisha

Level 5

Ah, you may be out of luck. It looks like the field you're referencing may be a "Text Field with Formatting." As far as I'm aware, we can't perform calculations on Rich Text fields. I've dug around on the forums but haven't found any examples of someone getting a valueexpression= to work on a Rich Text field.

Here are a few posts about the issue: