Expand my Community achievements bar.

Reopening Projects after set period of time?

Level 1

I am the Workfront admin for my department and I am trying to figure out Workfront can solve this particular issue. My department is responsible for creating internal training for our organization. When we develop a new course, we create a workfront project to track the development of the course from Ideation to Course Launch. Once the course development is complete, the project itself is completed. However, we also would like to be able to have Workfront either reopen the project or create a new project for the revisions we will be making to those courses. Some courses are on a yearly revision cycle, others are 6 months or 3 months. We are still in early adoption phases of workfront, so we can change a bit how we utilize projects. Is there a way to have the project change status after a certain period of time? Or is there a better way we can track these revisions? 

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi Martie - The only way to automate this would be through Fusion and not through the standard functionality. 

Personally, I wouldn't suggest re-opening projects after they've closed as I believe you lose valuable historical data such as actual hours/duration of a project, planned vs actual dates, baselines, etc. I would suggest having a project for the creation of the object and then a second project for revision tracking. If the revisions aren't extensive, you could probably get away with one project to house revisions of multiple assets with Parent/child task structures representing the asset types. But again the only way to automate anything related to this would be through Fusion and not with any of the native Workfront functionality.

Employee

To add - this sounds like a great use case for the 'copy project' functionality already built into Workfront. As Kellie said, the only way to automate such an action would be via Fusion, but copying the project would be a great way to bring over any relevant data from the prior project. 

Community Advisor

I see two options:
1. Leave the project open longer to include revisions. You could have a task in your project called 'Course Launch' or something to show when it was completed (or have this as a custom form field on all your course projects). And then add your revision tasks to the same project.

2. Close the project when course is completed, open a new project for revisions and include a link to the original course creation project in the project description or something for an easy way for users to get to the original project.

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )