Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Re-Assigning Users to Tasks

Level 2
Hi! I have read some of the Workfront articles but still need help in re-assigning a user. For example, I want to replace User 1 for User 2 in all the tasks and projects assigned to User 1. However, I am not a Resource Manager so I believe I need to do that first. But when I add myself as a Resource Manager, I am not able to select User 2. Thoughts? Tips? Suggestions? Thanks! Angie Kweder ANSYS-Marketing
4 Replies

Level 10
Hi Angie, If you're talking about doing it via the People > Scheduling and Swap actions, it looks like it's limiting us to only replace the person with someone in the same Role (which kinda stinks). At least that's what it looks like. I don't use that function at all. What I would do is create a Task Report and filter by the Assigned To person we're looking to replace. Then select all the tasks and do a Bulk Edit to change the assignments.

Level 10
Thanks Vic, I do likewise, where Tasks have a single Assignee. However, where there are multiple Assignees, have a spidey-sense that the bulk update action might overwrite the other assignees. Worth testing, for those considering; and if true, perhaps an Assignment report (with a bulk update from there, if possible) would be safer and more thorough, as it would also handle Issues. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 10
Thanks Doug. Yes you're right, an Assignment report would be more thorough. And it is good to make sure you're not clobbering another assignment (it could get tricky sometimes).

Community Advisor
Hi Angie, I had a similar situation before, where the person I wanted to assign, or swap, wouldn't show up so, in the Staffing > Scheduling settings, I turned off both the Limit Assignments to Users with matching Role and the Limit Assignments to the Group associated with the Project options. Could this what's causing you not to see User 2? Sheri Whitten Gordon Food Service