Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Project Meeting Notes

Level 7
Does anybody have a great way to track project meeting notes without adding them as a document or a project or task update?
10 Replies

Level 10
Hi: We created a custom attribute on the project called “Issue Update Impact Next Steps”. I built a report that shows the project, project owner, some basic information about the project, but mostly it has that custom attribute. When we have a meeting to review a number of projects (like with a vendor), I use that report. Because WorkFront allows me to edit the data in the report, I can just click on the field and add more notes (prefaced with a date) to the custom attribute. An example update might be: 18JAN2017 - Date is pushing due to inavailability of this and that, pushing go-live out two weeks; 24JAN2017 - Got confirmation that the telco will be able to turn-up the circuit on 03FEB2017; 03FEB2017 - Telco successfully turned up circuit, turned over to Production Support; You get the idea. I then export that report to Excel and send it out to everyone. That’s how we do it… Thanks, Eric

Level 2
Created a report called "Consolidated Notes." We can then add notes to specific tasks and the report pulls all notes and consolidates them under the tasks. As an example, we do designs and then we review with our clients. During the review, someone is taking notes directly to the task of client review. Then if others add more notes later or add additional information or discussion point replying to the original notes, the report groups them all together so you just have to look at the report instead of sifting through all the updates or trying to find the task and look there. Very quick...

Level 3
Hi Layne, are you using a custom field for the notes or are you pulling from the "update status' feed? New to WF so looking into how best to pull status updates from different team members on a project. Thanks!

Level 2
in filters try this Note> Note text is not blank and Note> Is Message equal (case sensitive) true and project users> User ID equals $$User.ID

Level 5
Hi Layne, Could you explain how you attach the report to the client review task? and provide a sample screenshot of the report? this sounds like an interesting approach- I love the idea of someone taking notes of the client feedback - right into the task in the meeting! And I'm assuming this works well for you all, since this is how you do it? And could you provide a sample of the consolidated notes as well? I'm not 100% following you. tks! Karen

Level 2
Hello Karen, We are not attaching a report. What we are doing in aggregating all the notes for specific tasks together in a report. So, as an example, I was talking about Client reviews - during that meeting, someone opens up the task of client review on the schedule and they take all the notes for the meeting and put them there. Then later, if anyone has any follow up information, they can respond to this note and so on for anyone else. Right now, there are the updates on a project which is a stream of notes for everything related to that project so it is hard to know quickly which notes are related to which task without going into the individual tasks. So, the report we created, Consolidated Notes, takes all the notes for each task and groups them together and then creates a "report." This is not a document, although it can be printed, it is just a view of all notes for each task where notes were input and groups them together by title of task. I then created a dashboard called Consolidated Notes and put in on everyone layout so they have access to it quickly. Based on the filters I setup, the notes only relate to the user's projects. It can still be long but at least they are group together. Make sense? Layne

Level 7
Thanks for the ideas! Anyone willing to attach screen shots of their report/dashboard? The workfront rep told me they put in a product request for a "meeting notes" tab/feature but I don't know how quickly this would be picked for a future release :)

Level 3
Hi Layne, Thanks again for the above. For your consolidated notes report, are you combining them at all? I've made a few sad attempts at using sharecol to include the Note Text, Entry Date and Updated By fields (grouped by project on a note report). I wondered if you were doing something similar and if so, would you be up for sharing the code? Thanks for your time, Ondina

Level 2
Hello Layne, Sorry to resurrect an inactive thread, but you have described exactly something I've been wanting to set up for a while now. There's just one thing I can't seem to figure out. . . In the report, what column settings do you use to show all the notes for a task? So far, the only setting I've been able to actually make work is "Last Note: Note Text" in a task report. But that only shows the most recent comment, and not the whole history. Could you perhaps be doing something in text mode? Thanks! Matthew Brinkerhoff doTERRA

Level 3
Sounds like you might be using a Project Report and not a Notes Report. For me, I've got a Notes report with a prompt for Date/Time. I've added this report to a Meeting Agenda/Minutes dashboard that can be added to individual projects. So, when a project team meeting is over, the PM just selects the "Between" filter on the prompt and puts in the start/end times for the meeting. Then this report pulls all notes made during that time and groups them by Parent Task > Task. Mark Evans LifeNet Health