Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Project Condition 'At Risk' when tasks are 'On Track'

Level 2
Hi all, We have just launched Workfront and so far so good! Now that our executives are viewing reports, there is concern that 'the optics' of so many projects showing At Risk is not good. Upon further investigation, it seems that even if all remaining tasks are On Track, if there has been one task Completed Late, it will trigger that At Risk project condition, and the project cannot recover. Is that your experience? Any tricks or tips to have the project condition reflect that of say, the first task that all future tasks roll up under? I prefer to not use the Manual Condition as I want the system to tell us what is really happening, but people will lose faith in the system if all projects that had a Late Task show 'At Risk'... Any suggestions appreciated! Amber Nyssen Tillamook County Creamery Association
9 Replies

Level 10
Hi, Amber. I hear you on this one. The work around is to go to EDIT PROJECT and change the CONDITION TYPE to manual and then you can change the CONDITION to ON TARGET. Hope this helps. ~ Susan Susan

Level 2
Amber - I've noticed this too on a TON of my Projects. My tasks are all on track when this reads 'At Risk'. You shouldn't have to finagle with the condition type. Im hoping maybe someone from Workfront can jump in here too and put their 2 cents in on why this is a thing. Thanks for posting, you're not alone! Jessica Beaudet PC Connection, Inc.

Level 4
Agreed. I don't like it but I just use manual and set on target. Dr. Rochelle L. Webb, CSM Project Manager II MHMR Tarrant County Ft. Worth, Texas 817-569-4146

Level 2
Hi Amber, This is something my organization struggles with as well. Since the condition is based on the critical path of the project, any slip along the critical path will cause the project to appear at risk. Tasks with long durations (i.e. multiple weeks or even months) causes the status to change if the long duration % complete is not managed carefully. Another point is the consistent management of % complete and planned dates along the critical path. It is not easy to do, and I wouldn't be surprised if we go the route of manual override as others have done. However, if you can rely on it, and PMs really stay on top of their plans, it provides a quantifiable condition state. Otherwise you're defaulting to subjective judgment, which can (and will) vary from person to person. Kind regards Jeff Jeffrey Thell

Level 10
I have this same issue and a year in, I still get the complaint about things being At Risk when they are in reality on track. If your Executives are just viewing reports, how about removing that field from any report they might see? :) Jill Ackerman

Level 2
Hello Amber, Disclaimer: The following is based on my experience with Workfront and may not be best practice. I am constantly learning new/better ways to do things in Workfront. We've ran into similar issues, and there's not a simple answer that I can find. Tasks are marked "At Risk" if the projected completion date goes past the planned completion date . The trick is to make sure your projections are accurate. Before I start changing too many things, I try do some investigating to understand what dates are throwing my task projections off. I've found it most useful to add/ compare four fields in a task report to make sure the right data is informing my task conditions. 1 РPlanned Start Date 2 РActual Start Date 3 РPlanned Completion Date 4 РActual Completion Date After adding these fields to a task report, I then compare the following: Planned Start date vs Actual Start date If the Actual Start Date is later than the planned, this can affect how your task is projecting to be complete. Planned Completion Date vs Actual Completion Date If the actual completion date is past the planned, then this will affect the projection of subsequent dependent tasks. Also check durations and hours Finally the other thing to keep in mind is the duration and hours of your tasks. Workfront automatically levels all hours across the duration of the task equally... so if you have not been marking tasks off at the planned rate each day, it could start to project a later completion date. Now if all of that sounds like too much work and you want to just simplify your task track... and have Workfront assume good health on your task and projects, you have a couple options. For Projects: Set the "Condition Type" to Manual 1 РGo to "Project Details" 2 РSelect "Condition Type" 3 РSelect "Manual" Doing this will allow you to manually select the condition in the project details tab. You should see a drop down. For Tasks: Change the tracking mode 1 РGo to "Task Details" 2 РClick Edit Task (upper right corner) 3 РSelect "Tracking mode" 4 РTry selecting "Assume on Time" or "Ignore Late Warnings" I believe both of these options should keep your task condition healthy, no matter what, until it is actually late. This is helpful if you have tasks that aren't actively being updated, but you know are on-time. Be careful with this, though, as it could create a misperception of health. Here's a link to details on what those different modes do. "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/216636448-Understanding-Tracking-Mode-for-Tasks">https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/216636448-Understanding-Tracking-Mode-for-Tasks Hopefully this helps. -Albert Albert Poulson, PMP Enterprise Project Manager Health Equity 15 W. Scenic Pointe Drive, Ste 100 Draper, UT 84020 O: 801-727-6988 M: 801-860-9672 apoulson@healthequity.com "http://www.healthequity.com/"> www.HealthEquity.com ------Original Message------ Hi all, We have just launched Workfront and so far so good! Now that our executives are viewing reports, there is concern that 'the optics' of so many projects showing At Risk is not good.¬† Upon further investigation, it seems that even if all remaining tasks are On Track, if there has been one task Completed Late, it will trigger that At Risk project condition, and the project cannot recover.¬† Is that your experience?¬† Any tricks or tips to have the project condition reflect that of say, the first task that all future tasks roll up under?¬† I prefer to not use the Manual Condition as I want the system to tell us what is really happening, but people will lose faith in the system if all projects that had a Late Task show 'At Risk'...¬† Any suggestions appreciated! Amber Nyssen Tillamook County Creamery Association

Level 5
Hi Amber, We also have that happen. Workfronts response has been that "at risk" does not actually mean its a bad thing, but that answer did not make my project owners happy. I've realized that if we have a task that is set to anything other than "as soon as possible" with predecessors it can make the entire project "At Risk". My solution has been to either change the task to "as soon as possible" or remove the predecessors. I also have changed the percentage complete on the current task to 90% that sometimes does the trick. Aileen Taylor Cell Signaling Technology

Level 4
Has anyone put in Idea Exchange to allow a manual change to individual task statuses? Rochelle L. Webb, DM, CSM Interim Director, Project Management Office My Health My Resources (MHMR) of Tarrant County O – 817-569-4146 M - 817-897-3654 Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email, and delete the original message from your system.

Level 2
I appreciate all of the suggestions! We have made a couple of updates in our system. We have changed all of the task conditions to 'Ignore Late Warnings' as our users are not in there frequently enough updating the actual start date and progress of tasks. Additionally, we have created a view with the addition of the Projected Completion Date to help identify those tasks on the Critical Path that are driving the At Risk condition. At the end of the day, we really do want to keep the system generated Project Condition and will plan to use these tools to help us identify where projects are going astray! Amber Nyssen TCCA