Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

predecessor/constraint best practices when scheduling from completion

Level 6
I need to set a up template that schedules from completion. Work needs to complete 12 weeks prior to the final step on this template. I've looked over the article at https://experience.workfront.com/s/article/Working-with-Templates-Scheduled-from-Completion-12453043... but it doesn't get me the results I need. If I use Must Start On for the final steps constraint and As Late as Possible on all other steps, the dates calculate properly to show the latest each step can begin in order for all work to complete the day before the final step. I'm bumping into a way trying to leverage predecessors on that final step to build in a 12 week buffer between work completion and the final step. What am I missing? Catherine Hayes Manager, Business Analytics and Program Operations The Channel Company Westborough MA
7 Replies

Level 10
Hi Catherine, Can you provide a screen shot that includes the Predecessor and Task Constraint columns? I just did something similar and might be able to help if I can see it.

Level 6
Hi @Vic Alejandro thanks for the help with this. I've attached a screen grab . Catherine Hayes Manager, Business Analytics and Program Operations The Channel Company Westborough MA

Level 2
In our print area we have a similar type situation. Our designers will create the piece, and then it goes to our in house print shop. It can be there for 5 days to 4-8 weeks depending on the project. Then it will come back to the department secretary who closes out the job by filing samples of the pieces. What I did to help the timeline stay accurate was set a task for it going to the print shop, and then I have a task after that for the secretary that will be set for the number of days that we expect the piece to be at the print shop. We then know if a project is running behind from the print shop or not based on when the secretary gets her samples in. My task for when it goes to the print shop has a must start on or as soon as possible if we are running early, and then the secretary"s first task is as soon as possible with a duration of the number of days it will be at the print shop. Hope this helps! Lauren McCollim, M.B.A, PMP Advertising Project Manager Pensacola Christian College

Level 10
hey, I'm not sure "12w" is going to work. https://experience.workfront.com/s/article/Understanding-Lag-Types-1959050606 -- can you plug in 60d? maybe that will help you troubleshoot. -skye

Level 10
Hi Catherine & Lauren, That's certainly a great solution (and probably one I would choose as well so I can track and update that buffer). But for others this might help save you some heartburn on the Lags. I believe the issue here is WF doesn't like a Lag stated in Weeks (w). I think it'll work if you change it to the equivalent in Days (d) (it did in my instance). So in your example 12w=60d. So your last pred would be 22fs+60d. Let me know if that helps or if you have questions. Thanks.

Level 10
Aw, I didn't see this one when I replied. You beat me to it �� .

Level 6
Worked like a charm! This is exactly what I needed. Thanks @Skye Hansen and @Vic Alejandro :-) Catherine Hayes Manager, Business Analytics and Program Operations The Channel Company Westborough MA