Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Possible to create Automatic Baseline for project

Level 10

Hi,

Is it possible to create an automatic baseline for projects? As far as I know, it is usually required to be created manually.

If the plan is changed or updated, it can result in missing the project's final delivery date.

NOTE: AT PRESENT WE DO NOT HAVE FUSION!

Best regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Kundan,

The only option you have without Fusion is to utilise the "Create Baselines Automatically" setting in the project preferences of the setup area. When this is enabled, a Baseline will be created everytime a project status is changed to Current.

If you can educate your Project managers to change the project status to planning when making changes, and then back to current when the updated plan is ready, then Workfront will auto capture these changes in a baseline.

Best Regards,

Rich.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Kundan,

The only option you have without Fusion is to utilise the "Create Baselines Automatically" setting in the project preferences of the setup area. When this is enabled, a Baseline will be created everytime a project status is changed to Current.

If you can educate your Project managers to change the project status to planning when making changes, and then back to current when the updated plan is ready, then Workfront will auto capture these changes in a baseline.

Best Regards,

Rich.

Level 10

Thanks for your suggestion Rich, this is a bit unfortunate that this can not be possible without fusion. Not possible to buy a new extension or a tool all the time. These are quite basic feature must be embed in mother tool.

Believe this may be available in future. A very important feature for a project. Refer @NicholeVargas 

Employee Advisor

Thanks for tagging me @Kundanism. If you haven't already, please consider liking the Idea that Lyndsy shared for auto-capturing baselines, without needing to change the project status from planning to current (or using Fusion). I can check to see if this is on the product roadmap as well! 

Level 10

I have already liked this idea from before, and even expressed my support under the are comment area. This is a bit surprising, that we are not able to see the priority of idea's list any more. Do you have any visualisation for us? Thanks and regards;

Employee Advisor

You can sort ideas on Experience League by Most views or Most likes, to get a sense of which ones are the most popular. I did reach out to the Community Manager to see if something like the leaderboard could be brought back (I'm not sure if that functionality exists on the Experience League platform), but I can let you know. He's out on PTO for the week, but can share an update next week. 

Level 10

Hi Kundan,

In addition to Fusion (for those who have it), I can suggest several options:

• The EASIEST is to train your PMs to "flip" to Current when needed as @Richard_Le_ expertly outlined in his post
  • The BEST is to us our Baseline+ solution to automatically create Baseline(s) for the desired Project(s) -- whether default or not, and including additional information not otherwise present in Workfront natively -- that can later be used for Margin analysis via our AFA Burn Report solution
  • The FASTEST is to use our Create Baselines solution is to  automatically create a baseline for multiple Workfront projects on a scheduled basis
  • The LIGHTEST is to adapt this Targeted Auditing technique to create a calculated custom parameter that tracks the Project's latest Planned Completion Date whenever it changes (assuming that is sufficient for your requirements, vs a full-blown Baseline)

Regards,

Doug

Level 8

This is a timely thread for my instance, so thank you! That said, here's an idea to upvote: Baseline Scheduler / Automated Baseline Captures - Adobe Experience League Community - 557080.

Glad to hear that @Lyndsy-Denk,

We’re doing a lot of R&D around Baselines at present, so I invite you to chime in with your thoughts on this Baseline Drift post, too.

Regards,

Doug