Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Portfolio/Program Tips?

Level 5
We are having a meeting with the business to discuss options about Portfolio/Program, and wanted to see how other FinServ groups are doing it. Our current suggestion for the business based on Workfront tips is the align by a request type as the portfolio, then the subcategories of that request as a program. Ex: Print is a Portfolio, and Brochure/Flyer/Table Card is a program. That way, we can roll up everything under "Print" to get a sense of how many Print requests we get, but also be able to know how many individual types underneath it. We have a lot of resource overlap, so a designer might work on multiple types of media (print, audio, web). It seems like we can assign teams to multiple programs so that shouldn't be a barrier. Anywho, if anyone has a skeletal frame for how they do it, we're all ears! Ryan McGee
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

6 Replies

Level 5
Hi Ryan! great question and that is a good approach to be able to segment the information for reporting. However, something to think about is that the "program" field is not a required field when creating a project,. You can default the program value via a project template, however you would have to have a template for each program value you want to use. So users would have to choose among all of those when creating a project. If you want to minimize the number of templates available to users to avoid confusion, you may want to consider a custom form attached to the project template, create a main field such as project type (Brochure, Flyer/Table Card). You can they use the portfolio and project type field to segment reporting. Hope this helps. :) Nuria Munguia

Level 5
Thanks Nuria: We are actually removing the need to have users select a template by using routing rules and "auto-project creation" to remove the need for multiple templates: our goal is to minimize the need to have multiple templates per portfolio in order to reduce noise and maintenance. But custom forms are certainly something we'll look at! Ryan McGee

Level 1
Hi Ryan, I work in the Marketing Department for Bank OZK. We use Portfolios for our business lines/verticals and Programs for specific business objectives within those verticals. We also have a Marketing Operations portfolio for our internal projects. Then, each project is categorized based on that setup. Our projects can have multiple deliverables in each so this has worked best for us so far. I'm interested to hear how you and others are setting up their Portfolio/Programs too! Jessica Frahm

Level 3
Hi, Ryan! We have our Workfront instance set up similar to Jessica's, I think. Portfolio = Business Unit Program = Campaign/Event (any projects that would use the same assets/graphics) Projects = Multiple Deliverables (i.e. Video, Email, Print, etc. Each deliverable is a separate Project under the Program.) We do use custom forms on our templates, and have tried to cut down on the amount of templates, but we seem to keep adding. I'm curious to learn how you use routing rules and "auto-project creation" instead of templates. Eileen Womelsdorf SEI Investments Inc.

Level 1
Hi, Setting up Portfolios and Programs is tough strategically! It's 6 of one half dozen of another. LOL. On our side, we have set-up just a small list of portfolios. They are our business lines and other important groups. Then our Programs are high level types of work we do. For instance, events, website, campaigns, or a big programs. etc. Then in each program, there are all the projects listed. Hope this helps! Happy to discuss further offline:) Connie Connie Sprinkle SVP, Head of Marketing Operations City National Bank

Level 5

While we do have one top-down enterprise portfolio that uses programs as tactics, most of our other portfolios deal with implementing business needs for our local markets. In those groups, like our Advertising portfolio, we actually use the programs to separate projects by regional market (Kansas City vs Tulsa vs Little Rock). We also have a few programs in those that represent bankwide divisions that will affect all markets in order to separate local vs global efforts.

That way I can see everything we did, and are doing, for Tulsa quickly without a filter or report needed.