Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Parent/Child Tasks

Level 2
I use nested tasks quite often in my project schedules and have recently come across a situation that is new. Usually, when all the child tasks are marked complete the parent task also turns to complete. In a current schedule this is not happening. Can anyone tell me why? Any idea are much appreciated!
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 2
Hi Jan - you may want to try a 'Recalculate Timeline' and see if the Parent updates after the recalc. I have noticed at times, for example when a PM may be updating percent complete directly against a task, that the recalc doesn't happen automatically. Join me on LinkedIN

Level 2
That worked perfectly! Thank you!!!

Level 10
Hi Jan, Whilst you've already found the solution for your issue, for future reference there is one other scenario where this can happen. There is a Project Setting called 'Summary Completion Mode' which has the same result if it is set to Manual. Here is the explanation from Workfront documentation: "This field impacts how subtasks and parent tasks relate to each other. When set to Manual, subtask completions will not roll up to parent task completion. The manager will need to manually complete the parent task. If set to Automatic, when all subtasks are marked complete, the parent task will automatically be marked as complete. This field addresses relationship between parent and children tasks." Regards, David

Level 2
Thanks, David. I'll keep that in mind if this happens again. Our default is "automatic" for the Summary Completion Mode and considering your info, I'll keep it this way.