Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!
SOLVED

Open a Document without downloading in 1 Click

Community Advisor

Hi all,

I have a new hire in my org that worked somewhere else that used Workfront and they are saying at that organization they could open documents such as PowerPoint and Word files with a single click in the browser without downloading. Does anyone know of a feature within Workfront that allows this?

I suggested generating a Proof without adding approvers and reviewers and using the Microsoft OneDrive and SharePoint integrations, but these weren't accepted solutions.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

all other things being equal (this was happening in a different company within their workfront), it seems like this is just a browser setting. You CAN set up your browser to immediately open files that you click on (I think it downloads and then opens with one click). Maybe this is what your user experiences, without remembering how it was initially set up?

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

all other things being equal (this was happening in a different company within their workfront), it seems like this is just a browser setting. You CAN set up your browser to immediately open files that you click on (I think it downloads and then opens with one click). Maybe this is what your user experiences, without remembering how it was initially set up?

Community Advisor

Thanks Skye! I didn't think about that as an option. I'll suggest it but have a feeling it won't be a welcomed recommendation.

Community Advisor

I hear ya. But I don't know how they would have been doing this before, unless they were using a different browser I'm not familiar with. It's def not a Workfront thing.

Hi @MoniqueEvans and @skyehansen,

This one takes me back: one of my first tricks wayyyyyy back in the day was to automatically open an uploaded Microsoft MDB file that was stored within Workfront (nee AtTask) in a single click, which as I recall I accomplished using a file association and small launcher file.

Shortly thereafter, following an educational reprimand for exploiting what Microsoft Internet Explorer agreed was a security hole (automatically launching unknown programs is Not A Good Idea), Microsoft patched it, rightfully stopping my Too Clever solution in its tracks.

Regards,

Doug

Community Advisor

Doug, this is hilarious! Only you would make a convenient security risk that needed a patch to stop 

Community Advisor

I think Skye is right that it's a browser setting. I can open in one click for some docs but not for others. PPT and Word all download when I click but PDFs open in a browser PDF Viewer using the extension I have downloaded to chrome. I believe some browsers have an auto open for downloads as well that can be turned on but we can't do that at our company.