Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Mouse over icon to display text?

Employee
Hello, I created a custom field called 'Notes' and would like an icon to show up on a report to indicate if there are notes. I figured this part out - does anyone know a way to display the notes in a pop-up if one hovers over the icon with their mouse? This would be great so that it does not take up so much space on the report and you wouldn't have to go to the custom form to find out what the 'Notes' are. Thanks!
10 Replies

Level 7
I asked a similar question regarding a Task View - if I could have an indicator that there is something in the Task Detail description since we rarely use it, and the description could be too large to display I was hoping I could have an indicator that you could mouse over to see the task details. I received no responses from that post. I'm hoping you get a positive response that I'll be able to use as well.

Level 10
Hi Greg and Sarah, I took a shot at your ideas to show the description "on hover" in a view tonight, but alas, no luck. For those who'd like to continue my head-banging, I've posted the text from a Task column that DOES properly show the Task's Progress Status on hover of the icon (e.g. On Time, Late, etc.) which is similar to the behavior we seek -- namely, to have the tooltip that pops up be "row specific" -- but in our case, we'd like to show the description of the Task instead. Perhaps with more brute force (and luck) than I have tonight, someone could find the proper syntax. Regards, Doug align=center descriptionkey=progressstatusicon displayname=Stat image.height=14 image.namevalue=string(progressStatusField) image.type=ProgressStatus image.valuefield=progressStatus image.valueformat=val image.width=14 linkedname=direct namekey=progressstatusicon.abbr shortview=false stretch=100 tile.name=component.progressstatusicon type=image valuefield=progressstatusicon valueformat=HTML viewalias=progressstatusicon width=30

Level 3
Hi everyone, If I'm understanding the requirement properly, I believe this approach will work (at least it seems to for me). I came at it a little differently. I just added the "description" field and then used conditional formatting to display an icon (if not blank). I then played around a bit with some of the lines from your example, Doug, and the below started working. displayname=Task Description image.case.0.comparison.icon=true image.case.0.comparison.leftmethod=description image.case.0.comparison.lefttext=description image.case.0.comparison.operator=notblank image.case.0.comparison.operatortype=string image.case.0.comparison.righttext= image.case.0.comparison.truetext=/static/img/r15/icons/casebuilder/light_blue.gif image.namevalue=string(description) image.valuefield=description linkedname=direct shortview=false textmode=true valuefield=description valueformat=HTML Kathy

Level 3
Sarah, specifically in regard to your question, the following works for a popup displaying the last note: displayname=Task Note image.case.0.comparison.icon=true image.case.0.comparison.leftmethod=lastNote:noteText image.case.0.comparison.lefttext=lastNote:noteText image.case.0.comparison.operator=notblank image.case.0.comparison.operatortype=string image.case.0.comparison.righttext= image.case.0.comparison.truetext=/static/img/r15/icons/casebuilder/light_black.gif image.namevalue=string(lastNote.noteText) image.valuefield=lastNote.noteText linkedname=lastNote shortview=false textmode=true valuefield=lastNote:noteText valueformat=HTML Kathy

Level 10
Kathy, you're my hero! Thanks for pressing on with the research. Well done! Regards, Doug

Level 7
Yes, Kathy - this is great work! Thank you!

Level 2
I can't seem to get this to work using a Custom field. We have a field called 'PMO Comments' on our Project form and would like it to display using the mouse over. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! -Mike Michael Gerrol Dell-RSA Security - IT

Level 2
Here's the code I tried. It does display the Icon on the rows that have a 'PMO Comments'! However, no text is displayed when i hover the icon. I believe the image.namevalue= line is the key. I haven't found any CUSTOM field that will display - only the WF specific fields. displayname=Hover for PMO Comments image.case.0.comparison.icon=true image.case.0.comparison.leftmethod=DE:PMO Comments image.case.0.comparison.lefttext= image.case.0.comparison.operator=notblank image.case.0.comparison.operatortype=string image.case.0.comparison.righttext= image.case.0.comparison.truetext=/static/img/r15/icons/casebuilder/light_black.gif image.namevalue=string(DE:PMO Comments) image.valuefield=string(PMO Comments) linkedname=project shortview=false textmode=true valuefield=PMO Comments valueformat=HTML Has anyone got this to work? Thanks in advance, -Mike Michael Gerrol Dell-RSA Security - IT

Level 2
Been told that mouse over icon to display text - can only work with WF based form fields - and NOT with CUSTOM form fields. If anyone knows a work around, love to hear about it. Thanks! -Mike Michael Gerrol Dell-RSA Security - IT

Level 2

it is an old thread but it looks like if you just use:

image.namevalue=DE:PMO Comments it should work

also, if the custom form is located at the project level and your report is a task report you can do: image.namevalue=project:DE:PMO Comments

Let me know if that helps.